Resistivity of a current in a fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the resistivity of conductive fluids and how it can be measured using a multimeter/ohmmeter. The formula for calculating resistivity is mentioned and there is a query about the cross-sectional area to be used in the calculation. The concept of conductivity is also mentioned, and it is clarified that it is independent of the volume of the fluid. The difference between resistivity and resistance is also explained. Ultimately, the individual is seeking clarification from their teacher.
hsetennis
I am studying the resistivity of various materials in my physics class and I have a query regarding conductive fluids.

If a current is running through a fluid (let's say water) within a rectangular beaker, and there are two copper wires put in at opposite ends of a beaker (I believe they are called electrodes?).

Supposing I connect the multimeter/ohmmeter to the wires outside of the beaker, I should get a reading in ohms. Now to find the resistivity of the fluid at that °C/Pa, I would solve by using [itex]\rho=\frac{(Resitivity)(Length}{Cross-Sectional Area}[/itex]. I assume the length would just be the distance between electrodes, but I don't know if the area is the whole area of the beaker. Can someone shed light on this?

*I don't want to call it an electrolytic cell, because I'm using very small amps/volts.
*Also, this isn't a homework/coursework question. I'm just curious about it and my teacher was unsure. Pardon me if it's in the wrong section

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
but I don't know if the area is the whole area of the beaker.

More ions in a conducting liquid will take a shorter rather than a longer path because the resistance is less along the shorter path. If you use a larger beaker likely the resistivity you measure will be SLIGHTLY smaller.

This is analogous to hooking up wires of different lengths in parallel: most current will flow thorugh the shortest wire, the least current will flow thru the longest wire.

Firstly we generally measure the inverse of resistivity ie conductivity of a conductive fluid.

Secondly the conductivity is independent of the volume of the fluid.

People with aquaria and swimming pools know this and use conductivity meters to dip into their tanks. These work the same regardless of tank size. Water scientists use these meters to measure the water quality of natural waters (ponds, rivers etc).

Please note for resistivity /resistance and conductivity / conductance both pairs refer to different properties.

The resisitivity or conductivity is a bulk material property and independent of the distance between the electrodes for any state of matter, solid, liquid or gas.

The resistance, on the other hand depends upon the quantity and disposition (length and cross section) as well as the resistivity.

So are you asking about resistivity or resistance?

Ask your teacher, he or she should have made this difference clear.

Last edited:

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of how easily a material allows electric current to flow through it. It is the inverse of conductivity, which measures how well a material conducts electricity.

How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured in units of ohm-meters (Ω•m) using a device called a resistivity meter. This involves passing an electric current through a material and measuring the voltage and current to calculate the resistivity.

What factors affect the resistivity of a fluid?

The resistivity of a fluid is affected by its temperature, composition, and the presence of impurities or suspended particles. In general, fluids with higher concentrations of ions or impurities will have higher resistivity.

What are some applications of understanding the resistivity of a fluid?

Understanding the resistivity of a fluid can be useful in various fields, such as in the design of electrical systems, in environmental studies, and in the development of new technologies. For example, knowledge of the resistivity of seawater is important in designing underwater cables for power transmission.

How does the resistivity of a fluid impact its flow and movement?

The resistivity of a fluid can affect its flow and movement by influencing how easily an electric current can pass through it. This can have implications for processes such as electroplating, electrolysis, and the flow of charged particles in a conductive fluid.