Circular vs. Cylindrical Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem set with similar solutions for finding electric fields due to a disk and a hollow cylinder. The equations are essentially the same, with only the constants R and z being swapped. The question is whether this similarity has any deeper meaning in the physics of electric fields, or if it is just a coincidence.
NullSpace0
I recently had a problem set with two questions that seemed to give very similar answers. I'm not asking how to do this, so I don't think this post belongs in the homework section. Rather, I'm asking if the similarity I think I see has any deeper meaning in the physics of electric fields.

Let's say I want to find the electric field due to a disk of uniform charge density along the disk's axis. I would integrate and I end up getting something like:

E=∫(2*pi*sigma*z*r*dr)/(r^2+z^2)^3/2... note that z/sqrt(r^2+z^2) comes in from multiplying by the cosine of the angle to get only the portion along the axis. In this integral, z is a constant.

For a hollow cylinder, you get essentially the same integral: E=∫(2*pi*sigma*R*z*dz)/(R^2+z^2)^(3/2)... again, note that R/sqrt(R^2+z^2) come from the cosine of the angle for similar reasons. In this case, R is a constant.

So they seem to be the same integral with R and z swapped out. Other than the fact that sigma is different in each case, does the similarity mean anything? It's almost like it's saying that a cylinder and a circle have basically the same electric field along the axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or perhaps not?

1. What is the difference between circular and cylindrical charge distribution?

Circular charge distribution refers to a charge distribution that is symmetrically arranged in a circle, while cylindrical charge distribution refers to a charge distribution that is symmetrically arranged along a cylindrical surface. The main difference between the two is the shape of the distribution.

2. Which type of charge distribution is more commonly used in scientific studies?

Both circular and cylindrical charge distributions are commonly used in scientific studies, depending on the specific experiment or application. However, cylindrical charge distribution is more commonly used in situations where the distribution is spread out along a surface, such as in capacitors or conducting cylinders.

3. How does the electric field vary for circular vs. cylindrical charge distribution?

The electric field for a circular charge distribution varies with distance from the center of the circle, following an inverse square law. For a cylindrical charge distribution, the electric field varies with distance along the surface of the cylinder, also following an inverse square law.

4. Can the shape of the charge distribution affect the magnitude of the electric field?

Yes, the shape of the charge distribution can affect the magnitude of the electric field. For example, a cylindrical charge distribution with a larger radius will have a stronger electric field than one with a smaller radius, as the charge is spread out over a larger surface area.

5. Are there any real-world applications of circular vs. cylindrical charge distribution?

Yes, both circular and cylindrical charge distributions have various real-world applications. For example, circular charge distributions are used in particle accelerators to produce strong magnetic fields, while cylindrical charge distributions are used in capacitors to store electrical energy.