Computing Virtual Work: Assumed Modes Method & Generalized Forces

In summary: Expert Summarizer.In summary, the principle of virtual work can be used to analyze the dynamics of a cantilever beam subjected to a forcing function. The virtual work is calculated by considering variations in the generalized coordinates, which represent the deformations of the beam. Even if the beam is not fixed and can translate, the virtual work can still be computed in the same way by expressing the deformations in terms of the generalized coordinates.
boeing_737
Hi all,

I've been trying to understand the vibration of a cantilever beam subjected to a forcing function using Lagrange's equation, but have got stuck at the virtual work part. I would appreciate your inputs here.

Using the assumed modes method, the transverse deformation is written as

[itex]\xi[/itex](x,t) = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]i(x) qi(x)

If we use 'n' trial functions ([itex]\psi[/itex]), then we have 'n' generalized coordinates (q) that we can use to specify the configuration of the beam at any instant of time.

If we have a distributed loading given by f(x,t) [Load/unit length], then the generalized forces associated with the generalized coordinates are written using the principle of virtual work as

Qi = [itex]\frac{\partial {(\delta W)}}{\partial {(\delta q)}}[/itex]

Qi = [itex]\int[/itex] f(x,t) [itex]\psi[/itex]i(x) dx

My question is : Does the virtual work have to be computed with variation in inertial positions? For example, if the beam is not fixed, but can translate (say up and down), if the deformations are measured wrt an axis fixed to the root of the beam, how would the virtual work be computed in this case?

Thanks
yogesh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Yogesh,

Thank you for your question. The principle of virtual work is a powerful tool for analyzing the dynamics of a cantilever beam subjected to a forcing function. In order to calculate the virtual work, we do not need to consider variations in inertial positions. Instead, we can consider variations in the generalized coordinates (q), which represent the deformations of the beam. These variations can be calculated using the assumed modes method, as you have mentioned in your post.

To answer your specific question, if the beam is not fixed and can translate, we can still use the principle of virtual work by considering the variations in the generalized coordinates. The deformations measured with respect to an axis fixed to the root of the beam can still be expressed in terms of the generalized coordinates. Therefore, the virtual work can still be computed in the same way as before.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the virtual work in this scenario. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.

1. What is the Assumed Modes Method in computing virtual work?

The Assumed Modes Method is a technique used in structural and mechanical engineering to calculate the virtual work done by external forces on a system. It involves assuming a set of displacement modes or patterns and then using these modes to represent the actual displacements of the system. This method simplifies the calculation of virtual work by reducing the number of variables and equations needed.

2. How is the Assumed Modes Method different from other virtual work methods?

The Assumed Modes Method is different from other virtual work methods, such as the Principle of Virtual Work, because it allows for the use of assumed displacement modes rather than relying solely on the actual displacements of the system. This makes the calculations more efficient and less complex, especially for large and complex systems.

3. What are generalized forces in the context of computing virtual work?

Generalized forces are a set of forces that are used in the Assumed Modes Method to represent the external loads acting on a system. These forces include any applied loads, such as external forces or moments, as well as any internal forces that arise from the deformation of the system.

4. How is the virtual work done by generalized forces calculated?

The virtual work done by generalized forces is calculated by multiplying the generalized forces by the corresponding virtual displacements in each mode and then summing these products. This calculation is based on the principle of virtual work, which states that the work done by external forces on a system is equal to the product of the virtual displacements and the corresponding forces.

5. What are some applications of the Assumed Modes Method in engineering?

The Assumed Modes Method has many applications in structural and mechanical engineering, including finite element analysis, modal analysis, and structural optimization. It is particularly useful for analyzing large and complex structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aerospace vehicles, to determine their response to external loads and optimize their design for maximum efficiency and stability.