Jackson - Electrodynamics guidance (for the ones who used it)

In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325In summary, Jackson arranged his problems in this famous book Electrodynamics in a non-sectional way.
M. next
How did Jackson arrange his set of problems in this famous book Electrodynamics? I mean, does he move according to the course? Or the problems are mixed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problems go with each chapter, and appear at the chapter ends.

My copies (2nd and 3rd edition) are autographed by JD Jackson!

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the reply. But I was asking that at the end of each chapter how are the problems arranged? I mean, if one is teaching the course, can s/he explain like the first 3 sections of chapter 2 let's say and give the students homework of the first exercises there? In other words, does his exercises follow up with his sections?

(I like the fact that they are autographed by him, one of the best books to study electrodynamics worldwide!)

No, I don't think that there is any sectional organization.
Does an instructor's guide exist?
I

The problems are listed in sort of the order of the chapter, but many of them go beyond the material in the chapter. When I taught from Jackson, I made up my own HW problems. Now I use a different text.

Likes 1 person
What do you use?

No actually, no instructor's guide is there. Whta I wanted to figure out is that in chapter 3, for the mixed boundary conditions section (3.13) what are its problems in the text? I just want to practice on that part but I can't seem to figure out what are the problems related just to this part.. I don't have time to go through all of them and so as to pick what I want, that's why I asked if they were sorted in some order.

Thank you guys.

If you had asked the question that way in the beginning I would have said "I don't know"!

I know that knowing the answer to that question was of a minute probability. That's why I went for asking a general question. Thanks.

1. What is Jackson - Electrodynamics and what is it used for?

Jackson - Electrodynamics is a textbook written by John David Jackson that covers the principles and theories of classical electrodynamics. It is commonly used in physics and engineering courses, particularly at the graduate level.

2. Is Jackson - Electrodynamics difficult to understand?

This may vary from person to person, but overall, the textbook is known for being very rigorous and mathematically intensive. It is recommended for students with a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. What are some common topics covered in Jackson - Electrodynamics?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics related to classical electrodynamics, including electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves, and special relativity. It also delves into more advanced topics such as radiation, scattering, and electromagnetic energy and momentum.

4. How does Jackson - Electrodynamics compare to other textbooks on the subject?

Jackson - Electrodynamics is often considered the "gold standard" for textbooks on classical electrodynamics. It is known for its thorough coverage of the subject and its rigorous mathematical approach. However, some may find it to be more challenging compared to other textbooks.

5. Can Jackson - Electrodynamics be used for self-study?

While it is possible to use Jackson - Electrodynamics for self-study, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and physics before attempting to do so. It is also helpful to have a study group or access to a professor or TA for assistance with difficult concepts.