Black holes may not exist after all

In summary, according to the article, there is still some disagreement about whether black holes with event horizons are still possible in quantum gravity, but the majority of the community agrees that they might exist.
Physics news on Phys.org
The "unequivocal defense" in your previous threads has been of a statement which Hawking agrees with; from the article:

"There is no escape from a black hole in classical theory," Hawking told Nature.

Nobody has "unequivocally defended" the claim that a correct theory of quantum gravity must also include black holes with event horizons, which is the claim that Hawking's paper is attempting to refute (and the article notes that the paper is still being reviewed). Everyone agrees that we don't (yet) know for sure whether black holes with event horizons are still possible when quantum gravity is taken into account; there are plausible arguments both ways, but we have no general theory and no way to test the question experimentally.

Last edited:
PeterDonis, I should have clarified that the defense of black holes has not come from everyone, but certain people on this forum and others have defended them unequivocally.

But it seems that you have read MORE into this than what has been claimed! He didn't say "Black holes may not exist", as you stated in the title of this thread. He's saying that these black holes may have different characteristics, with regards to the 'even horizon' than we thought.

This is FAR from saying these things don't exist!

And let's not forget that Hawking was WRONG when he bet against information being able to escape a black hole. If you put all your eggs in this still-unpublished basket, you might end up in the same fate.

Zz.

rjbeery said:
PeterDonis, I should have clarified that the defense of black holes has not come from everyone, but certain people on this forum and others have defended them unequivocally.

Well, I've been one of the people defending unequivocally the classical proposition, which I quoted from the Nature article, and which Hawking agrees with. I don't think anyone has unequivocally defended the quantum proposition (i.e., the claim that quantum gravity must also allow black holes with event horizons); people have made arguments in its favor, but that's not the same as "unequivocally defending" it. Can you give any specific examples of people "unequivocally defending" the claim that quantum gravity must allow black holes with event horizons?

PeterDonis...I feel you're being selectively nuanced. Look at ZapperZ's comment above yours; this, despite the title of the article linked to, specifically quoting Hawking in a very clear manner. You don't recall all the mentions of "clear evidence of black holes in astronomy" in previous threads?

rjbeery said:
PeterDonis...I feel you're being selectively nuanced. Look at ZapperZ's comment above yours; this, despite the title of the article linked to, specifically quoting Hawking in a very clear manner. You don't recall all the mentions of "clear evidence of black holes in astronomy" in previous threads?

I think that it is YOU who have been "selective". Re-read those quote of Hawking again. But better yet, read his preprint and understand the physics!

Please note that I did not make any argument FOR anything. I pointed out what YOU did and how you made the wrong conclusion based on what you are citing. You turned it around and somehow concluded that I was giving "clear evidence" for black holes.

You have a very strange ability in understanding what you read.

Zz.

I don't see anything in the arxiv preprint that is in dramatic disagreement with the conversations here.

However, I thought that one of the key assumptions is somewhat dubious. Specifically, the assumption that any quantum gravity theory would have global CPT symmetry. The argument requires global CPT symmetry, but GR is only locally Lorentz invariant and violates Lorentz symmetry globally. Maybe I am misunderstanding the assumption here.

rjbeery said:

That's a very important clarification you should have made.

No one bats an eye that in quantum gravity there may not be a true event horizon. The fuzzball picture is one such prominent proposal.

DaleSpam said:
I don't see anything in the arxiv preprint that is in dramatic disagreement with the conversations here.

However, I thought that one of the key assumptions is somewhat dubious. Specifically, the assumption that any quantum gravity theory would have global CPT symmetry. The argument requires global CPT symmetry, but GR is only locally Lorentz invariant and violates Lorentz symmetry globally. Maybe I am misunderstanding the assumption here.

In AdS/CFT, the non-perturbative definition of the theory is given by a Lorentz invariant quantum field theory on Minkowski spacetime, which we can think of as the boundary of the AdS gravitational bulk which emerges at low energy. The boundary non-gravitational theory is D dimensional, but the gravitational theory is D+1 dimensional. I think Hawking means CPT of the boundary theory. Edit: Apparently not.

Last edited:
atyy said:
That's a very important clarification you should have made.

No one bats an eye that in quantum gravity there may not be a true event horizon. The fuzzball picture is one such prominent proposal.
Hi atyy! With respect, I think you and PeterDonis should be careful with comments regarding "nobody" and "everybody". I've had discussions of black holes with many physicists, both student and graduates, who would insist that event horizons exist. Perhaps when I get home from work tonight I'll search for a few examples...

rjbeery said:
Hi atyy! With respect, I think you and PeterDonis should be careful with comments regarding "nobody" and "everybody". I've had discussions of black holes with many physicists, both student and graduates, who would insist that event horizons exist. Perhaps when I get home from work tonight I'll search for a few examples...

Black hole event horizons unequivocally exist in classical general relativity. Are you contesting this?

atyy said:
Black hole event horizons unequivocally exist in classical general relativity. Are you contesting this?
Philosophically, I ask what exists in reality; this demands a rigorous definition of "existence". In a book on GR, where the concept of "now" is not considered, then of course event horizons exist. In an applied concept of GR, however, with a reasonable definition of what it means "to exist" relative to the "now"...YES I contest the idea that event horizons exist in general relativity...

That being said, I would be happy with a consensus that event horizons do not exist due to QM effects. :thumbs:

rjbeery said:
I would be happy with a consensus that event horizons do not exist due to QM effects.
It is definitely not a consensus at this time.

However, even if such a consensus does develop, I don't think that it would place the conversations that I have seen with you on the topic in any need of revisions. IIRC, your objections to black holes were unrelated to those given by Hawking, and the explanations you received to your specific objections still stand.

DaleSpam said:
It is definitely not a consensus at this time.

However, even if such a consensus does develop, I don't think that it would place the conversations that I have seen with you on the topic in any need of revisions. IIRC, your objections to black holes were unrelated to those given by Hawking, and the explanations you received to your specific objections still stand.
Hi DaleSpam, do you even recall any of my specific objections?
For example, I wouldn't call responses to this as "authoritative explanations" as much as "plausible explanations"; the latter possibly being used in defense of a particular viewpoint (i.e. that black holes currently exist).

One issue that I regret not delving into further is the concept of the spacelike separation between an outside observer and both A) a point within the event horizon, and B) the singularity. In a similar thread on Sciforums it was said that
Either a black hole is entirely in your causal future (i.e. it "hasn't formed yet", as in the case of a large star that's still millions of years from collapsing), or it's not and part of it, which can include part of the singularity itself, are in your causal present. In the latter case, as the people on PhysicsForums are also explaining to you, regions within the event horizon in your causal present are a finite spacelike distance from you, in the sense that you can define a spacelike curve between you and such a region of the black hole, integrate ds along that curve, and you will get a finite value.
I would be curious to see the math involved here, because this contradicts my understanding of black holes. I only bring it up because the same idea was mentioned on this site, and I twice neglected to ask to see the math.

This bit from Hawking's preprint seems like it's probably a crucial part of what he's proposing, I was curious if anyone here has a better understanding than me (or at least some well-informed speculation) about what it means:
I take this as indicating that the topologically trivial periodically identified anti deSitter metric is the metric that interpolates between collapse to a black hole and evaporation.
Does "interpolated" mean you're basically stitching together a spacetime consisting of the exterior region of a standard evaporating black hole with a new inner region where the spacetime is a "periodically identified deSitter metric" rather than the usual black hole interior spacetime? Does "periodically identified" refer to the idea of making a potentially infinite space (like the deSitter metric) into a finite one by picking a finite region and making a topological identification of the edges? (the sort of idea discussed here) Could the "interpolated" spacetime he's proposing be visualized in terms of something like a Penrose diagram?

Last edited:
I would say: let us wait for the next coming observations of the center of our galaxy. See (e.g.) informations on the ESO website or where you prefer. I have recently participated to a conference concerning that item and came out full of doubts in my head. After having seen the simulation I got the strange impression that we shall observe "nothing" or more precisely the topology of our universe, as if it would have an invisible shape or frontier...

rjbeery said:
Philosophically, I ask what exists in reality; this demands a rigorous definition of "existence". In a book on GR, where the concept of "now" is not considered, then of course event horizons exist. In an applied concept of GR, however, with a reasonable definition of what it means "to exist" relative to the "now"...YES I contest the idea that event horizons exist in general relativity...

This is not a forum to discuss your personal philosophy.

Last edited:
rjbeery said:
PeterDonis...I feel you're being selectively nuanced.

I'm going on my best recollection of the various threads in which questions like this have come up. My best recollection is that the only claim that has been "unequivocally defended" is the one I quoted from Hawking: *classically*, event horizons are unavoidable. But we all know that reality is not classical.

rjbeery said:
You don't recall all the mentions of "clear evidence of black holes in astronomy" in previous threads?

The clear evidence is of compact objects that, classically, must be black holes, i.e., must have event horizons. Obviously whether or not they *actually* have event horizons depends on how significant quantum gravity effects are, and we don't have a theory of quantum gravity (yet) that can tell us that. We only have various educated speculations.

But there's also another point that probably should be clarified; Hawking, characteristically, only hints at it in his paper (the one on arxiv that is linked to in the Nature article) and leaves the reader to fill in. The point is this: in order to know for sure whether there is an event horizon present, and if so, where it is, you have to know the entire future of spacetime. We obviously don't. As far as our actual evidence is concerned, we can't distinguish the case where a compact object has an actual event horizon from the case where it only has an apparent horizon--a surface where outgoing light stays at the same radius--but not an actual event horizon, because the apparent horizon eventually disappears due to Hawking radiation.

Hawking is basically claiming that the compact objects we call "black holes" actually only have apparent horizons; if we knew the entire future of spacetime, we would see that these apparent horizons eventually disappear and all the quantum information that was hidden behind them gets back out again, so there is no actual event horizon. But there's no way to test this by observations at our current state of knowledge. We obviously can't directly observe the entire future of spacetime, and we don't have a quantum gravity theory that tells us what indirect observations might shed light on the question.

I can't say how carefully all the above points were observed in the various past threads on this topic, but I would point out that, given the state of our knowledge as I've described it above, asking whether black holes "really" exist, in the sense you appear to be using that term, is pointless: we just don't know. Various people have made various educated speculations, but we have no way of resolving the question at present. So if that's the question you really want an answer to, you're not going to get an answer, no matter how many times you ask it.

rjbeery said:
I wouldn't call responses to this as "authoritative explanations" as much as "plausible explanations"; the latter possibly being used in defense of a particular viewpoint (i.e. that black holes currently exist).

The topic question of that thread is another example of a pointless question given our current state of knowledge: at this point we simply don't know whether Hawking radiation prevents the formation of an event horizon.

However, you appear to be confusing that question (which has no answer at present) with another question, which does have the answer "no": is there some *classical* way of using Hawking radiation to rule out the formation of an event horizon? In other words, is there some way of showing that, at the classical level, there is no way of constructing a self-consistent model of an evaporating black hole? The answer to this question is "no" because such models can, and have, been constructed. They may or may not represent what actually happens in reality; we don't know at this point. But as models, they are perfectly consistent. That's what people kept trying to explain to you and you kept on not understanding.

rjbeery said:
One issue that I regret not delving into further is the concept of the spacelike separation between an outside observer and both A) a point within the event horizon, and B) the singularity.

I would be curious to see the math involved here, because this contradicts my understanding of black holes.

And here is a key reason why, IMO, you kept on not understanding: you don't really understand the purely classical model of black holes, on its own terms, as a model, independent of the question whether or not any real region of spacetime realizes the model. In terms of the model, what DaleSpam is saying here is perfectly obvious. The simplest way to see it mathematically is to use Painleve coordinates; the simplest way I know of to see it graphically is to look at a Kruskal diagram, which makes it obvious that the future light cone of any event E outside the horizon divides the region inside the horizon into two regions, a region inside the future light cone, which is to the future of event E, and a region outside it which is spacelike separated from event E (and therefore allows a spacelike curve to be drawn from event E to any point in this spacelike separated region along which ds can be integrated to get a finite value, as DaleSpam says).

PeterDonis said:
In other words, is there some way of showing that, at the classical level, there is no way of constructing a self-consistent model of an evaporating black hole? The answer to this question is "no" because such models can, and have, been constructed.

Are there really classical models of black hole evaporation? My understanding is that black hole evaporation is semi-classical, and one gets a mixed state from a pure state, which is inconsistent with the assumption of unitarity.

atyy said:
Are there really classical models of black hole evaporation? My understanding is that black hole evaporation is semi-classical, and one gets a mixed state from a pure state, which is inconsistent with the assumption of unitarity.

Classical in this sense excludes quantum issues at all. What you need to do (to model a decaying BH) is violate at least the dominant energy condition - which is necessary for any classical model a radiating BH. Then you meld a distant Vaidya spacetime to a shrinking BH interior. In the junction region, the energy condition is violated, which is what allows energy to leave the horizon. Spacelike paths trivially cross the horizon, and violating energy conditions allows energy to follow spacelike paths.

PAllen said:
Classical in this sense excludes quantum issues at all. What you need to do (to model a decaying BH) is violate at least the dominant energy condition - which is necessary for any classical model a radiating BH. Then you meld a distant Vaidya spacetime to a shrinking BH interior. In the junction region, the energy condition is violated, which is what allows energy to leave the horizon. Spacelike paths trivially cross the horizon, and violating energy conditions allows energy to follow spacelike paths.

That's interesting. What's a good reference for this?

Also, is the radiation emitted "Hawking radiation" in the sense that it is thermal?

atyy said:
That's interesting. What's a good reference for this?

Also, is the radiation emitted "Hawking radiation" in the sense that it is thermal?

No, it is not thermal, it is null dust - purely classical. I will try to dig up references this weekend.

S. Hawking:"The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to in finity."

If Hawking weren't one of the most authoritative voices on the subject of black holes since its modern conceptualization in the late sixties, this same sentence coming from almost anyone else would have been deemed as pure crackpottery and if affirmed around here the author most likely banned no matter how he had argumented it, as justified by a strict adherence to the guidelines. This simple observation is probably what spurred the apparent irritation in the OP.

I must say I very much concur with the nuanced explanations by Peter Donis, but it is also fair to say that most people in those threads discussing black holes made an "unequivocal defence of the existence of black holes" probably based on pop-sci accounts(or at the very least not so carefully nuanced as Peter's explanations here) of black holes that have been taking for granted their existence for many years.

TrickyDicky said:
S. Hawking:"The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to infinity."

If Hawking weren't one of the most authoritative voices on the subject of black holes since its modern conceptualization in the late sixties, this same sentence coming from almost anyone else would have been deemed as pure crackpottery and if affirmed around here the author most likely banned no matter how he had argumented it, as justified by a strict adherence to the guidelines. This simple observation is probably what spurred the apparent irritation in the OP.

I must say I very much concur with the nuanced explanations by Peter Donis, but it is also fair to say that most people in those threads discussing black holes made an "unequivocal defence of the existence of black holes" probably based on pop-sci accounts(or at the very least not so carefully nuanced as Peter's explanations here) of black holes that have been taking for granted their existence for many years.

But the same sentence can indeed be nonsense, and it is unclear what the previous arguments defending the possible nonexistence of black holes the OP referred to are. The OP does not direct us to discuss Hawking's new paper per se, but implicitly requires us to discuss it with respect to his previous discussions. Hawking's new paper is not required to conclude that black holes may not exist. Referring to Hawking's new paper is poor justification of previous claims for or against the existence of black holes.

Last edited:
TrickyDicky said:
S. Hawking:"The absence of event horizons mean that there are no black holes - in the sense of regimes from which light can't escape to infinity."

Actually, I don't think it is crackpottery at all, but simply definitional. A true horizon has light never escaping to infinity. An apparent horizon is a local trapping surface. Already, with a closed universe, there are no 'true' black holes, because a true horizon can't exist, only an apparent horizon can. Similarly, as soon as any form of BH decay is posited, the horizon is formally an apparent horizon.

To me, the sense in which it is at all meaningful to talk about BH in the non-classical universe we live in is:

- Do collapsed objects have a surface which externally, and macroscopically behaves like an apparent horizon? Most quantum treatments (including fuzzball and firewalls and Hawking's new paper) say yes. One example that doesn't is the Krauss et. al. paper. Experiment may decide this soon.

- Does fall through the (apparent) horizon behave macroscopically like the classical model? Many quantum models (including fuzzball and Hawking's new paper) say yes, but firewalls says no. It is not clear to me how this would ever be directly verified. Other predictions of theories would have to decide.

- Is there a singularity inside the apparent horizon? I think no one would bother publishing a model that says yes. For this issue, also, I don't see any plausible way this would be subject to verification.

- Do BH's actually decay or emit Hawking radiation? Unless we eventually make or find a very small BH, this will likely never be settled experimentally. Astronomical BH emissions are way, way, to small to detect; and decay times dwarf the life of stars.

@PAllen: why can't an event horizon exist in a closed universe? Do you mean a compact space-time, not a spatially finite universe?

martinbn said:
@PAllen: why can't an event horizon exist in a closed universe? Do you mean a compact space-time, not a spatially finite universe?

I meant a closed, finite, universe; one where future null conformal infinity is undefined.

rjbeery said:
Hi DaleSpam, do you even recall any of my specific objections?
Yes, I clearly recall the thread where you made a definition of exist which tautologically resulted in black holes not existing. I didn't follow all of your other threads closely, but your objection to black holes in that thread had nothing to do with Hawking's arxiv paper and the explanations you received would still stand even if his idea becomes the consensus.

PAllen said:
I meant a closed, finite, universe; one where future null conformal infinity is undefined.
Even in a closed universe, is it meaningful to distinguish between worldlines that terminate in a black hole singularity and worldlines that terminate in the Big Crunch singularity? If so, then even if the standard definition of "event horizon" in terms of escaping to infinity wouldn't apply, perhaps one could still define a different sort of horizon marking the boundary between points in spacetime where all lightlike worldlines through that point end in the black hole singularity, and points where at least some lightlike worldlines terminate in the Big Crunch singularity. But maybe a distinct black hole singularity doesn't exist in this case, I don't know.

JesseM said:
Even in a closed universe, is it meaningful to distinguish between worldlines that terminate in a black hole singularity and worldlines that terminate in the Big Crunch singularity? If so, then even if the standard definition of "event horizon" in terms of escaping to infinity wouldn't apply, perhaps one could still define a different sort of horizon marking the boundary between points in spacetime where all lightlike worldlines through that point end in the black hole singularity, and points where at least some lightlike worldlines terminate in the Big Crunch singularity. But maybe a distinct black hole singularity doesn't exist in this case, I don't know.

But then some events inside the apparent horizon (near the big crunch) would be considered outside the true horizon. An 'outgoing' null ray from them might be caught be the big crunch without reaching what was the BH singularity.

I think, for a universe without the appropriate infinity it makes more sense to define an 'effective BH' in terms of the local trapping surface plus classically predicted singularity.

This is drifting into the realm of personal theories.

1. What evidence suggests that black holes may not exist?

Recent studies have shown that the traditional definition of a black hole, which states that it has an event horizon from which nothing can escape, may not be entirely accurate. This is based on the fact that the event horizon is a theoretical concept and has never been directly observed. Additionally, alternative theories such as modified gravity and gravastars have been proposed as possible explanations for the phenomena attributed to black holes.

2. How do scientists explain the observed gravitational effects of black holes if they don't exist?

The observed gravitational effects of black holes can be explained by alternative theories of gravity, such as modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) or modified general relativity. These theories propose that gravity behaves differently at very large scales, which could account for the observed effects without the need for black holes.

3. If black holes don't exist, what happens to the matter that was thought to have been consumed by them?

The matter that was thought to have been consumed by black holes may actually be ejected back into the universe in the form of jets or other high-energy particles. This is supported by observations of active galactic nuclei, which show that matter is being expelled from the center of galaxies at high speeds, rather than being consumed by a black hole.

4. What implications would the non-existence of black holes have on our understanding of the universe?

The non-existence of black holes would challenge our current understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe. It would also require a re-evaluation of the role that black holes play in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Additionally, it could lead to the development of new theories and models to explain the observed phenomena attributed to black holes.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or experiments that could provide more evidence for or against the existence of black holes?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and experiments, such as the Event Horizon Telescope, that aim to directly observe the event horizon of a black hole. If successful, this could provide strong evidence for the existence of black holes. Additionally, further research into alternative theories of gravity and the behavior of matter in extreme environments could also shed more light on the nature of black holes.