What is the final temperature of the contents of the container?

In summary, the problem involves a 50 gram piece of ice at -20 C being dropped into a container holding 250 grams of water at 25 C. The final temperature of the contents of the container is being sought. To solve this problem, the heat lost by the water from 25 C to the final temperature needs to be equal to the heat gained by the ice as it goes through a phase change and then reaches the final temperature. The correct method involves considering both sensible heat and latent heat of the ice and water, resulting in a final temperature of 5.81 C.
pkossak
A 50 gram piece of ice at -20 C is dropped into an insulated container holding 250 grams of water at 25 C. What is the final temperature of the contents of the container?

I can't seem to get this problem. I was doing the following:

Lf water = 333 J/g
c water = 4186 J/kg*C
c ice at -10 C = 2220 J/kg C

.05 kg*2220 J/kg*C * (-10 + 20) (should I use this step?) + .05 kg*4186 J/kg*C * Tf + 10) + 50 g*333 J/g = - .25 kg*4186 J/kg C * (Tf - 25)

And I keep getting it wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks a ton

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? thanks

Units of temperature?

To start with, I'm going to assume that the ice will melt.

First, how much heat is required to bring the ice up to 0 degrees C? Giving up that much heat will reduce the temperature of the water to what? Now, how much heat does it take to melt the ice? Giving up that much heat will reduce the temperature of the water to what? (If 0 or below you're done- there will be a mixture of ice and water at 0 degrees.) Finally, determine the temperature that will give you an equilibrium for both the orginal water and the water from the ice.

IF giving up enough heat to bring the ice up to 0 degrees would reduce the temperature of the water below 0, the ice will not all melt. You would need to calculate how much heat will be given up when the water freezes and then find the equilibrium temperature (below zero) for the ice. Again, if the heat given up when the water freezes is more than enough to reduce the temperature of the ice to 0, you will have a mixture of water and ice at 0 degrees.

Thank you very much. I think I followed what you said pretty well, but for some reason my answer is about 1 or 2 C off. What did I do wrong? Thanks a lot.

(2220 J/kgC*0.05 kg*(0 + 20 C)) = -(4186 J/kgC*0.25 kg*(Tf - 25 C))
Tf = 24.03 C

(4186 J/kgC*0.05*(Tf - 0)) + (333 J/g*50 g) = -(4186 J/kgC*0.25 kg*(Tf - 24.03 C))
Tf = 6.767 C

The answer is actually 5.81 C, I can't tell what I've done wrong! Thanks a lot for any help...

I don't mean to keep begging, but if anyone could take a look and tell me if they see anything I'm missing i am really appreciative. My final is tomorrow.

The LHS of the equation should include sensible heat gain by ice from -20C to 0C, (Don't get misguided by the specific heat at -10C. This is to give you an average specific heat over a range of -20 to 0C.) latent heat gain from 0C ice to 0C water and finally sensible heat gain from 0C water to a final temperature Tf. The RHS is the heat lost by water from 25C to Tf. Apply this and you will get your answer.

Thank you! I don't see why the way I was doing it doesn't produce the same answer, but it's definitely working right now. Thanks a ton.

What factors affect the final temperature of the contents of the container?

The final temperature of the contents of a container is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the contents, the mass of the contents, the specific heat capacity of the contents, and the amount of thermal energy transferred to or from the contents.

How can I calculate the final temperature of the contents of the container?

The final temperature of the contents of a container can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of thermal energy transferred to or from the contents, m is the mass of the contents, c is the specific heat capacity of the contents, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Does the type of container affect the final temperature of the contents?

Yes, the type of container can affect the final temperature of the contents. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer thermal energy more efficiently, resulting in a higher final temperature compared to materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as plastic.

What is the role of insulation in determining the final temperature of the contents of the container?

Insulation plays a crucial role in determining the final temperature of the contents of a container. Insulation helps to minimize heat loss or gain from the surroundings, allowing the contents to reach a higher or lower final temperature, depending on the circumstances.

Can I use the specific heat capacity of water to calculate the final temperature of other liquids in a container?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of water can be used as a reference to calculate the final temperature of other liquids in a container. However, keep in mind that different liquids have different specific heat capacities, so it is best to consult a reference table for accurate calculations.