Calculating Average Power for Acceleration: 630 kg Car, 0-65 mi/h in 6.0 sec

• Thread starter wr1015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the average power needed to accelerate a 630 kg car from 0 to 65 mi/h in 6.0 seconds. The speaker mentions using the formula for change in kinetic energy, but the answer they are getting is incorrect. The other person suggests converting all units to SI units and using the correct formula for kinetic energy. They also mention converting miles per hour to meters per second before calculating work.
wr1015
What is the average power needed to accelerate a 630 kg car from 0 to 65 mi/h in 6.0 seconds? Assume that all forms of frictional losses can be ignored.

i've calculated change in kinetic energy to be 20475 J using: 1/2mv(final) - 1/2mv(initial). Since, change in kinetic energy is equal to work, i applied it to P = W/t. The answer I am getting is wrong and I've also tried converting mi/h to m/s and the answer is still not right, what am i doing wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it looks like you used 65 mph in your calculation!

You should try to be consistent with your units.
If you're going to have the work done expressed in Joules, then use SI units all the way. Convert the speed to metric first of all.

Oh yes, the formula you used is incorrect, I'm afraid.
The KE is given by (1/2)mv² - not (1/2)mv.

To get joules, you're going to have to convert miles/hour to m/s. It's best to do this before you try and calculate Work. What's the final speed of the car in m/s?

1. What is a power question?

A power question is a thought-provoking and open-ended question that encourages critical thinking and helps to uncover deeper insights and perspectives.

2. How do power questions help?

Power questions can help in various ways, such as stimulating creativity, promoting self-reflection, and fostering meaningful conversations and problem-solving.

3. Can anyone ask a power question?

Yes, anyone can ask a power question. It does not require any specific expertise or knowledge. However, it takes practice and skill to ask an effective power question.

4. What makes a question a power question?

A power question is usually short, simple, and direct. It should not have a specific answer and should encourage the person to think critically and reflect on their thoughts and feelings.

5. How can I use power questions in my work or daily life?

Power questions can be used in various settings, such as interviews, meetings, and personal conversations. They can help to gather information, solve problems, and deepen understanding. It is essential to ask relevant and well-thought-out power questions in these situations.