What Is the Speed of a Disk's Center of Mass After Rotational Descent?

In summary, a uniform solid disk of radius 4.18 m and mass 193 kg is free to rotate on a frictionless pivot through a point on its rim. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. The problem is to find the speed of the disk's center of mass when it reaches a certain position after being released from rest. The conservation of energy equation was used, but it was unable to find the speed due to uncertainty about the value of "v". It may be easier to analyze the motion as pure rotation about the pivoted point on the rim.
skinnyabbey
A uniform solid disk of radius 4.18 m and
mass 193 kg is free to rotate on a frictionless
pivot through a point on its rim.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 :

If the disk is released from rest in the po-
sition shown by the solid circle, what is the
speed of its center of mass when the disk
reaches the position indicated by the dashed
circle? Answer in units of m/s.

i tried using the conservation of energy equation to solve this problem.

1/2mv^2=mgh

i used the diameter of the circle for the h, but i still couldn't find the speed of the center of mass. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
skinnyabbey said:
A uniform solid disk of radius 4.18 m and
mass 193 kg is free to rotate on a frictionless
pivot through a point on its rim.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 :
If the disk is released from rest in the po-
sition shown by the solid circle, what is the
speed of its center of mass when the disk
reaches the position indicated by the dashed
circle? Answer in units of m/s.
i tried using the conservation of energy equation to solve this problem.
1/2mv^2=mgh
i used the diameter of the circle for the h, but i still couldn't find the speed of the center of mass. can anyone help?

What is "v"? Won't it be easier if you look at the motion as pure rotation about the pivoted point on the rim?

Yes, I can help with this problem. It seems like you are on the right track by using the conservation of energy equation. However, there are a few things you need to consider in order to find the speed of the center of mass.

First, let's define some variables:
- m = mass of the disk = 193 kg
- R = radius of the disk = 4.18 m
- g = acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s^2
- v = speed of the center of mass (what we are trying to find)
- h = height of the center of mass from the pivot point (this will change as the disk rotates)

Now, let's consider the initial and final positions of the disk. In the initial position (solid circle), the center of mass is at a height of R from the pivot point. In the final position (dashed circle), the center of mass is at a height of 2R from the pivot point.

Using the conservation of energy equation, we can write:
1/2mv^2 = mgh

In the initial position:
h = R
Therefore, the initial potential energy is:
mgh = m(9.8 m/s^2)(R) = 193(9.8)(4.18) = 8001.2 J

In the final position:
h = 2R
Therefore, the final potential energy is:
mgh = m(9.8 m/s^2)(2R) = 193(9.8)(2)(4.18) = 16002.4 J

Since energy is conserved, the initial potential energy must equal the final potential energy:
8001.2 J = 16002.4 J

Now, we can solve for the speed of the center of mass:
1/2mv^2 = 8001.2 J
v^2 = (2)(8001.2)/m
v^2 = 32907.2/m
v = √(32907.2/m)
v = √(32907.2/193)
v = 10.8 m/s

Therefore, the speed of the center of mass when the disk reaches the dashed circle is 10.8 m/s.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of mass within the object.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion, rotational inertia specifically refers to an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. They are related, but not interchangeable concepts.

3. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's center of mass. This formula can be adapted for more complex objects using integration.

4. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The two main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distribution of that mass. Objects with larger masses or with more of their mass located further from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia.

5. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia plays a crucial role in an object's motion. It determines how much torque is required to cause a change in the object's rotational motion and affects how the object responds to external forces. Objects with higher rotational inertia will be more resistant to changes in their motion.