Calculation of RMS Voltage and Current

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical circuit with a duty cycle of 50%, a constant voltage input of 5v, and a varying current drawn from the source. The conversation also mentions Vrms and Irms values for the circuit, and explains the discrepancies in calculations due to the presence of a battery and switch. Finally, the concept of average power and the integral of V*I over time is also discussed.
vinayakbhat82
I've a theoretical circuit that resembles an on-off switch with a duty cycle of 50%. The voltage input to the circuit is a constant 5v. The current drawn from the source is 1A when switch is ON and 0A when OFF. What is the Vrms and Irms?

From what I know:
Vrms for constant 5v is 5v.
Irms for above current (square wave with 50% duty cycle) would be I/√2 = 1/√2.
This imples P=Vrms*Irms = 5/√2

However, if we separately do some calculations for power, it would be like 5*1*0.5 (V*I*duty chle) = 5/2.

Can this discrepancy be explained please? Please let me know what am I missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
vinayakbhat82 said:
I've a theoretical circuit that resembles an on-off switch with a duty cycle of 50%. The voltage input to the circuit is a constant 5v. The current drawn from the source is 1A when switch is ON and 0A when OFF. What is the Vrms and Irms?

From what I know:
Vrms for constant 5v is 5v.

Prms = Vrms * Irms is only valid for a purely resistive load.

If you have a battery, a switch and a resistor in series, you can consider V and I across the resistor, and V won't be constant, so Vrms isn't 5V.

You can also consider V and I across the resistor and switch, and then Prms = Vrms * Irms
isn't valid and you have to do an integral of V(t)*I(t) over one cycle.

Hey willem2,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did have that idea earlier, but I was trying to answer the following: If I've a blackbox that has the circuit you mentioned i.e. switch and a resistor with no access to internal nodes and I need to have a DC equivalent of the original source that delivers the same power, how would I arrive at the numbers if I was provided with the voltage and current waveforms at the boundary. By reverse engineering, we may say that Vrms needs to be 5/√2 in this case, however, I wanted to understand the rationale behind doing so.

I completely agree to your point that the rms voltage across the resistor would not be 5v, but would rather be 5/√2.

Is there a term called Prms or is it just P/ If so, please help me understand. Also I believe, integrating V*I over time will give you Energy.

vinayakbhat82 said:
Is there a term called Prms or is it just P/ If so, please help me understand. Also I believe, integrating V*I over time will give you Energy.

There's no Prms, just average power.

The integral indeed gives the energy used in one period, so you'll have to divide by the length of the period to get the average power.

Irms for above current (square wave with 50% duty cycle) would be I/√2 = 1/√2.

This is valid only for a sine wave. ie the I/√2

What is the formula for calculating RMS voltage?

The formula for calculating RMS voltage is VRMS = Vpeak/√2, where Vpeak is the peak voltage value.

What is the formula for calculating RMS current?

The formula for calculating RMS current is IRMS = Ipeak/√2, where Ipeak is the peak current value.

How is RMS voltage and current different from average voltage and current?

RMS voltage and current take into account the fluctuations in the voltage and current values over time, while average voltage and current only consider the average value. RMS values are a more accurate representation of the actual voltage and current levels.

Why is it important to calculate RMS voltage and current?

RMS voltage and current are important in understanding the power consumption and capacity of electrical systems. They also play a crucial role in determining the safety and efficiency of electrical equipment.

Can you use the same formula to calculate RMS voltage and current for AC and DC circuits?

No, the formula for calculating RMS voltage and current is different for AC and DC circuits. For DC circuits, RMS voltage and current are equal to the average voltage and current. For AC circuits, the values are calculated using the peak voltage and current values.