How to determine enthelpy of formation

• Thread starter Norseman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formation
In summary, the enthalpy of formation values for compounds like MgO, Fe2O3, and NO can be found on Wikipedia, but it is unclear how they were determined. These values can be used to estimate the energy released or consumed in a chemical process. It is possible to calculate the enthalpy of formation using bond formation energies, but the result is not very precise, typically within tens of percent. Alternatively, enthalpies can be measured using a calorimeter or calculated using the van't Hoff equation. Free reference materials for this type of information can be found through a Google search.
Norseman
Background:
I've seen many different values for enthalpy of formation on Wikipedia, such as the following: MgO: -602 kJ·mol−1, Fe2O3: -826 kJ·mol−1, NO: 90.29 kJ·mol−1.

I'm curious about these values, but I have no idea how they were determined and I've only taken an introductory course in chemistry. However, my understanding is that these values can be used to determine (or at least estimate) how much energy will be released (or consumed) by a chemical process which converts one set of compounds into another.

Question:
Is it possible to calculate the enthalpy of formation for a given compound, or is it only possible to determine that based on an experiment? If so, are there any good, free reference materials for that kind of information?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can try to estimate them using bond formation energies, but the result is never very precise.

Okay. How do I estimate using bond formation energy? Also, how imprecise are you talking about? ±50%? An order of magnitude? More?

Some enthalpies can be obtained by measuring heat in a calorimeter. A very precise way to determine enthalpies is via the van't Hoff equation e.g. from the change of electric potentials of electrolytic cells with temperature.

1. What is the definition of enthalpy of formation?

Enthalpy of formation, also known as heat of formation, is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states under standard conditions of temperature and pressure.

2. How is the enthalpy of formation calculated?

The enthalpy of formation is calculated by subtracting the energy required to break the bonds between the atoms in the elements from the energy released when new bonds are formed in the compound. This can be done using the Hess's Law or through experimental measurements.

3. What are the units of enthalpy of formation?

The units of enthalpy of formation are kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) in the SI system and calories per mole (cal/mol) in the traditional system.

4. What is the significance of enthalpy of formation?

The enthalpy of formation is an important thermodynamic property that helps to determine the stability and reactivity of a compound. It is also used in chemical reactions and industrial processes to calculate the amount of energy released or absorbed.

5. How does temperature and pressure affect the enthalpy of formation?

The enthalpy of formation is calculated under standard conditions of temperature (298K) and pressure (1 atm). Changes in temperature and pressure can affect the enthalpy of formation, but these effects are usually small and can be accounted for using thermodynamic equations and tables.