Comparing Bipolarity: How to Determine the Greater Value of x in an Equation?

• Thread starter lalapnt
  • Start date
In summary: Otherwise, the graph is much easier to understand.In summary, the conversation discussed using the equation (a-b)*(a+b)=a^2-b^2 to solve problems involving square roots. The graph of y = √x was also mentioned as a helpful tool in understanding and solving these types of problems. Different methods were suggested, including purely algebraic and analytical approaches. Ultimately, the group agreed that the graph was the easiest and most intuitive method for understanding the concept.
lalapnt
how do i work this out?

2wf24go.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Remember that for any two numbers, a and b, we have: (a-b)*(a+b)=a^2-b^2

Think of the square root function graphed.

tahayassen said:
I like this approach. You can see at a glance which difference is larger.

tahayassen said:

Very good! :smile:

arildno said:
Remember that for any two numbers, a and b, we have: (a-b)*(a+b)=a^2-b^2

i knot this. but how does it help? the terms are different

tahayassen said:
i don't want to solve this graphically. (not like i even know how. I need some help here)

sqrt(12)-sqrt(11)=(sqrt(12)-sqrt(11))*(sqrt(12)+sqrt(11))/(sqrt(12)+sqrt(11))

lalapnt said:
i don't want to solve this graphically. (not like i even know how. I need some help here)
Are you saying you don't know what the graph of y = ##\sqrt{x}## looks like?

Mark44 said:
Are you saying you don't know what the graph of y = ##\sqrt{x}## looks like?

oh no! i know that! but first, i don't want to solve this graphically even if i did, how does the graph of y = √x help out?

EDIT: if i knew everything in math, i wouldn't be here.

Last edited:
lalapnt said:
oh no! i know that! but first, i don't want to solve this graphically even if i did, how does the graph of y = √x help out?

EDIT: if i knew everything in math, i wouldn't be here.
The graph of y = √x is one of the first ones you learn when you learn to graph functions. If you are asking questions about square roots, it's one you should know.

Look at the graph of this function. Does the y value on the graph change more between 11 and 12 than it does between 12 and 13, or does it change less between 11 and 12 than it does between 12 and 13?

Mark44 said:
The graph of y = √x is one of the first ones you learn when you learn to graph functions. If you are asking questions about square roots, it's one you should know.

Look at the graph of this function. Does the y value on the graph change more between 11 and 12 than it does between 12 and 13, or does it change less between 11 and 12 than it does between 12 and 13?

i get it now. but the problem is. i don't want to solve it geobetrically at all. is there a non-graphical way? please?

Purely algebra ?

Place ? i/o =, > or <.

sqrt(12)-sqrt(11) ? sqrt(13)-sqrt(12)
2sqrt(12) ? sqrt(11)+sqrt(13)
48 ? ...

Can you continue ?

dextercioby said:
Purely algebra ?

Place ? i/o =, > or <.

sqrt(12)-sqrt(11) ? sqrt(13)-sqrt(12)
2sqrt(12) ? sqrt(11)+sqrt(13)
48 ? ...

Can you continue ?
but how is 2sqrt(12) = 48? :/

i think i get it. please check this image:

3304ojc.jpg

Last edited:
am i correct working it this way?

I doubt that any instructor would accept a proof in which most of the symbols are ?.

Think about it like this what is √4-√1=1 obviously what is √7-√4, √9-√4=1 so less than 1, which means that the difference between higher roots is less than lower roots-you could also think that there are more roots to share between 2 numbers higher up eg.√100 to √81, for 9-10 and √4-√1, for 2-1 which shows there is a greater difference between smaller roots.

If you want a purely analytical method:

Note that [itex] \sqrt{n} [/itex] is a twice-differentiable function, yielding a second-derivative of [itex] -.25n^{-1.5} [/itex] which is negative for all positive n. Thus the first-derivative of the function decreases monotonically for positive n.

Apply the mean value theorem to the intervals [11,12] and [12,13]. You will get an interesting result which wil give you your answer.

BiP

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I doubt that any instructor would accept a proof in which most of the symbols are ?.

You could make it an equation and use the same method... i.e. let root(13)-root(12)+x=root(12)-root(11). If x>0, then the left side is greater. If x<0, the right side is greater

piercebeatz said:
You could make it an equation and use the same method... i.e. let root(13)-root(12)+x=root(12)-root(11). If x>0, then the left side is greater. If x<0, the right side is greater

If the left side is greater, then you can't write an = between the sides.

Am I understanding you wrong? :confused:

micromass said:
If the left side is greater, then you can't write an = between the sides.

Am I understanding you wrong? :confused:

let x be the difference between the two. if, in the above scenario, x>0, then the left side must be less than the right, and vice versa.

piercebeatz said:
And then the problem becomes determining the sign of x.

Mark44 said:
And then the problem becomes determining the sign of x.

Why's that?

Edit: Never-mind. I see why. It's because you square both sides, so when you solve for x, you get |x|=some number.

I would go with Bipolarity's method if you need a proof.

1. What is the difference between work and power?

Work and power are two related but distinct concepts in physics. Work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. How is power related to work?

Power is related to work through the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. This equation shows that power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

4. Which is greater, work or power?

This question cannot be answered definitively as it depends on the specific situation. In some cases, work may be greater than power if a large amount of force is applied over a long distance, resulting in a high amount of work being done. In other cases, power may be greater than work if a smaller amount of force is applied over a shorter distance, but at a faster rate.

5. How does work and power relate to energy?

Work and power are both related to energy, as they are both measures of the transfer of energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred. In other words, work and power are both ways of measuring energy in motion.