Is open-heart surgery worth considering for multiple cardiac issues?

• Thread starter GENIERE
  • Start date
In summary, open-heart surgery is a serious procedure recommended for individuals with severely blocked arteries and a malfunctioning aortic valve. It involves replacing the valve with a cow, pig, or mechanical valve. Recovery time is relatively short and success rates are high. Symptoms may include chest pain and difficulty breathing, and smoking is a major risk factor. It is important to seek medical attention if experiencing these symptoms.
GENIERE
Open-heart surgery.

I don’t recommend it for everyone…but if you have, as I had, several almost totally occluded cardiac arteries and a poorly functioning aortic valve, it’s worth considering.

I had the surgery on Jan. 2, 2006 wherein 3 arteries were bypassed and my aortic valve was replaced with a valve from a cow or a `bovine’ valve as the surgeon calls it. The bovine valve comes with a lifetime warranty. I think having a warranty is good but I have some confusion as to how I report a failure. At the surgeon’s discretion, I could have had a pig’s valve (porcine) or a mechanical valve (ping-pong ball in a bird cage).

I’m one of the lucky people who have had this surgery as I have never had a heart attack and my heart pumps very strongly. The surgery took less than three hours without any complications at all. I was kept under anesthesia for an entire day and was walking several hours after reviving. I left the hospital on Jan. 7th.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's an amazingly serious procedure! Glad you're up and posting.

What were the symptoms that lead you to the doctor in the first place?

Wow! Glad you're back up and around (or at least up and posting). How's the recovery going? I hope you're up and about and fully recovered as quickly as possible. :smile:

Thanks guys

I had mild symptoms, it seemed a Boa constrictor was squeezing my chest after I did moderate exercise. I never go to the doctor and I hid my symptoms from my family but was caught grimacing by my eldest son after carrying a heavy Christmas present into his home. The next day my kids forced me, kicking and screaming, into the emergency room.

I was a heavy smoker so I thought I had emphysema …oddly it turns out that my lungs aren’t too bad.

Yay! Geniere, I am so glad to hear about your remarkable recovery. Does this make you a cow-borg? Don't forget to fill out and send in that warranty card!

GENIERE said:
I had mild symptoms, it seemed a Boa constrictor was squeezing my chest after I did moderate exercise.
Yeah, that sounds bad. Glad you got it taken care of. I think that's the same thing David Letterman had a couple years back.

Math Is Hard said:
Yay! Geniere, I am so glad to hear about your remarkable recovery. Does this make you a cow-borg? Don't forget to fill out and send in that warranty card!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sympathies, GENIERE. Have you quit smoking?

GENIERE said:
I had mild symptoms, it seemed a Boa constrictor was squeezing my chest after I did moderate exercise. I never go to the doctor and I hid my symptoms from my family but was caught grimacing by my eldest son after carrying a heavy Christmas present into his home. The next day my kids forced me, kicking and screaming, into the emergency room.

I was a heavy smoker so I thought I had emphysema …oddly it turns out that my lungs aren’t too bad.
WOW! You are very fortunate your son noticed!

Welcome back and congratulations on your recovery! I wondered to where you had disappeared.

Take it easy :cool: , keep getting stronger, and live much longer!

I'm happy to hear, that your kicking and screaming did no good! And glad to hear you've got a second chance at living to a ripe old age.

I'm hoping by the time I get to that stage of life, they'll have mechanical hearts that are self-fixing. Maybe that's a bad idea, though. Then I'll just keep living and living even though the rest of my body is wrinkled and broken and I'll hardly be able to do anything.

1. What is open-heart surgery?

Open-heart surgery is a surgical procedure that involves opening the chest to access the heart. It is typically used to perform complex operations on the heart, such as coronary artery bypass, valve replacement, or repair of congenital heart defects.

2. How is open-heart surgery performed?

During open-heart surgery, the patient is put under general anesthesia and the chest is opened through a vertical incision in the sternum. The heart is then stopped and a heart-lung machine is used to circulate blood and oxygen throughout the body. The surgeon can then perform the necessary procedures on the stopped heart.

3. What are the risks of open-heart surgery?

As with any surgery, there are risks associated with open-heart surgery. These may include bleeding, infection, blood clots, stroke, and heart attack. There is also a risk of complications specific to the heart, such as arrhythmias or damage to the heart valves.

4. How long does it take to recover from open-heart surgery?

The recovery time for open-heart surgery varies depending on the individual and the specific procedure performed. In general, patients can expect to stay in the hospital for 3-7 days after surgery and may need several weeks to fully recover. It is important to follow the post-operative care instructions provided by your doctor to ensure a smooth recovery.

5. Are there any alternatives to open-heart surgery?

In some cases, less invasive procedures may be an alternative to open-heart surgery. These may include catheter-based procedures or minimally invasive surgeries that use smaller incisions and specialized instruments. However, open-heart surgery may still be necessary for more complex or urgent cases.