Can anyone become a skilled engineering designer?

• Thread starter Jin Sen Zhang
  • Start date
In summary, I think it is possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer if they have the right training and experience.
Jin Sen Zhang
Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Being a good designer comes with experience and training (mentoring) IMO. Artistic skills have nothing to do with it. You are not talking about being a draftsman, you are talking about a designer. You simply need to be able to convey your ideas.

I'll stop now before I get on the soap box.

Nothing to do with art. Creativity helps, but it's nothing whatsoever to do with art.

First principle,K.I.S.S.

how to become a good designer?...

Respected sir,
Myself is an instrumentation engineering student, i want some tips related to designing aspects of instrumentation systems...
I will be thankful to u, i u guide me in this direction...

bhagyesh patil.

A good design engineer for a company is a design engineer who designs cool things BUT saves up money. Your boss will be happy then with you. :rofl:

Jin Sen Zhang said:
Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?
Are you thinking of industrial design, which is more related to 'art' than engineering.

Raymond Lowey is considered the father of ID?
http://www.raymondloewyfoundation.com/about/index.html

http://www.core77.com/

But there are designers of bridges and large structures, and that is mostly engineering, which as FredGarvin indicated takes experience and training, usually with supervision of a mentor.

Part of the training is the development of an intuitive sense about the product or system being designed, and what engineering and physics principles apply. A good designer needs a broad knowledge of mechanics and materials, and possibly electronics and electrical engineering if the product or system involves electronics or electrical power.

Last edited by a moderator:

What skills do I need to be a good designer?

To be a good designer, you need a combination of technical skills and creativity. Technical skills include proficiency in design software, coding languages, and understanding design principles. Creativity is also crucial, as it allows you to come up with unique and innovative design solutions.

Do I need a degree in design to be a good designer?

No, while a degree in design can be helpful, it is not necessary to be a good designer. Many successful designers are self-taught and have honed their skills through practice and experience.

How can I improve my design skills?

The best way to improve your design skills is through practice and continued learning. Experiment with different design techniques and styles, and seek feedback from others to help you identify areas for improvement. Additionally, staying updated on industry trends and attending workshops or classes can also help improve your skills.

What makes a design successful?

A successful design is one that effectively communicates its intended message or purpose to its audience. This can be achieved through a combination of a visually appealing design, clear and concise messaging, and user-friendly functionality.

How can I stand out as a designer?

To stand out as a designer, you need to have a unique style and approach to your work. This can be achieved by continuously pushing yourself to think outside the box and experimenting with new design techniques. Additionally, having a strong portfolio and networking with other designers can help you gain recognition and stand out in the industry.