Exploring Newton's Laws: Andrew's Rope Climbing Challenge

In summary, Newton's laws are a set of laws that govern the motion of objects. The bag of sand in the gym class example is in static equilibrium because the forces on it (the climber and the weight of the sand) balance.
svtec
Newton's laws?

there is an athlete climbing a rope in gym class. he gets to a point halfway up the rope and is stationary. someone puts a bag of sand that is equal in weight to the athlete. they are both static and then the athlete starts to climb the rope, slowing and speeding up at random intervals.

what happens to the bag of sand as he climbs?

i was thinking that the bag of sand would move up a little bit as he was climbing slower and then down as he is climbing faster?

am i right, or would the bag of sand stay at rest because they are the same weight?

i'm thinking the first one...

tia...

-andrew

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by svtec
there is an athlete climbing a rope in gym class. he gets to a point halfway up the rope and is stationary. someone puts a bag of sand that is equal in weight to the athlete. they are both static and then the athlete starts to climb the rope, slowing and speeding up at random intervals.
Why do you think the bag will move up and down? (except for the shaking of the rope as he climbs) And what does the weight of the sand have to do with it?

i think the problem is trying to imply that the bag is equal in weight to the athlete, implying that they are in static equilibrium initially. the problem states it explicitly and that is why i referred to it. thanks...

-andrew

i think as the climber reached the apex of the climb the bag would approach the floor.

-andrew

i think the problem is trying to imply that the bag is equal in weight to the athlete, implying that they are in static equilibrium initially. the problem states it explicitly and that is why i referred to it.
I'd be curious to see the exact statement of the problem. The bag doesn't have to be equal in weight to the athlete for there to be static equilibrium. Think about it: the athlete hangs from the rope; he's in static equilibrium because the forces on him (the rope pulling up on him & his weight pulling down on him) balance. No bag of sand needed.

i think as the climber reached the apex of the climb the bag would approach the floor.
We must be thinking of totally different situations. How is the bag attached to the rope? How is the rope attached to the ceiling? Is there a pulley involved?

I see no reason for the end of the rope to move---sandbag or not---as the man climbs up or down. (Ignoring the stretching of the rope.)

i know. it seems that this problem has a case of ambiguity. i have given you the problem in its entirety leaving out some superfluous information, such as him, what, etc.

i just wanted to see if anyone else could make sense of it.

i would think that there would have to be a pulley involved, but it does not state it.

-andrew

"someone puts a bag of sand that is equal in weight to the athlete"

WHERE was the bag of sand put?? Was that part of the "superflous information" you left out?

Was it attached to the climber?

Was it tied on at the end of the rope?

Was it tied to the other end of the rope after running it to a pulley? (Since the top of the rope was clearly attached to something when he began to climb, I would find that hard to accept.)

Was it set on the floor next to the rope?

edit:

today she said in class that she left out the part about the frictionless pulley.

this makes the problem a little more reasonable.

today she said in class that she left out the part about the frictionless pulley.
Ah... just as Halls and I suspected. So, why not take another crack at describing the exact problem and what you think the answer is. And---most importantly---why you think what you think. :smile:

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that explain the behavior of objects in motion. They were established by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the movement of objects.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to rope climbing?

Newton's laws apply to rope climbing in several ways. First, the first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. In rope climbing, this means that a climber must exert force on the rope to overcome the force of gravity and begin climbing. Second, the second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. This means that the more force a climber exerts on the rope, the faster they will climb. Finally, the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In rope climbing, this can be seen when a climber pushes down on the rope, the rope also pushes back up on the climber, allowing them to continue climbing.

3. How does friction play a role in rope climbing?

Friction plays a significant role in rope climbing as it helps the climber maintain a grip on the rope. As the climber's hands slide against the rope, friction between the two surfaces creates resistance, allowing the climber to hold onto the rope and continue climbing. However, excessive friction can also make it more challenging to climb, as it can cause the rope to burn and the climber's hands to tire more quickly.

4. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when rope climbing?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind when rope climbing include using proper equipment, such as a harness and rope, and ensuring that they are in good condition. It is also essential to have a spotter or belayer to help prevent falls and provide support. Additionally, proper technique and training can help prevent injuries and ensure a safe climbing experience.

5. How can exploring Newton's laws through rope climbing benefit scientific understanding?

Rope climbing can benefit scientific understanding by providing a practical and hands-on way to observe and apply Newton's laws of motion. By physically experiencing the effects of forces, such as friction and gravity, on their own body, climbers can gain a deeper understanding of these principles. It also allows for the exploration of how different factors, such as body weight and rope tension, can impact the movement of an object, providing a more comprehensive understanding of Newton's laws.