Solving for v_1, v_2, and v_3 with Nodal Analysis

In summary, We use nodal analysis to find v_1, v_2, and v_3 in the given circuit, by setting up KVL and KCL equations and solving them using a matrix. After eliminating the last variable column, we can solve for v_1, v_2, and v_3 using the RREF method. In this case, v_1 is 3.043 V, v_2 is -6.956 V, and v_3 is 0.6522 V.
VinnyCee
Find [itex]v_1,\,v_2,\,and\,v_3[/itex] in the circuit below using nodal analysis:

PracticeProb3-4.jpg

My work so far:

[tex]I\,=\,\frac{v_1}{2\Omega},\,\,I_1\,=\,\frac{v_2}{4\Omega},\,\,I_2\,=\,\frac{v_3}{3\Omega},\,\,I_3\,=\,\frac{v_1\,-\,v_3}{6\Omega}[/tex]

KVL @ loop1 => [tex]-I\,(2\Omega)\,+\,10\,V\,+\,I_1(4\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]

Which equals:
[tex]-\left(\frac{v_1}{2\Omega}\right)(2\Omega)\,+\,10\,V\,+\,\left(\frac{v_2}{4\Omega}\right)(4\Omega)\,=\,0[/tex]

Which equals:
[tex]-v_1\,+\,10\,V\,+\,v_2\,=\,0[/tex]

KVL @ loop2 => [tex]-v_2\,-\,5\,I\,+\,v_3\,=\,0[/tex]

KVL @ loop3 => [tex]-10\,V\,+\,v_1\,-\,v_3\,+\,5\,I\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL @ v1 => [tex]I\,+\,I_3\,+\,I_4\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL @ v2 => [tex]I_4\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_5[/tex]

KCL @ v3 => [tex]I_2\,=\,I_5\,+\,I_3[/tex]

KCL @ Super Node 1 => [tex]I_4\,+\,I_3\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_2[/tex]

When I combine these equations to get 4 equations with 4 variables, I get the following matrix:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc|c}
-1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & -10 \\
0 & -1 & 1 & -5 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & -1 & 5 & 10 \\
\frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{4} & \frac{1}{3} & 0 & 0
\end{array}\right][/tex]

The columns go like this: v1, v2, v3, I, constant

But this matrix has infinite solutions! How do I solve?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out!

The last variable column of the matrix can be eliminated because [tex]I\,=\,\frac{v_1}{2\Omega}[/tex]

This gives the matrix:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}-1 & 1 & 0 & -10 \\-\frac{5}{2} & -1 & 1 & 0 \\ \frac{7}{2} & 0 & -1 & 10 \\ \frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{4} & \frac{1}{3} & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

This RREF's out to:

[tex]v_1\,=\,\frac{70}{23}\,=\,3.043\,V[/tex]

[tex]v_2\,=\,-\frac{160}{23}\,=\,-6.956\,V[/tex]

[tex]v_3\,=\,\frac{15}{23}\,=\,0.6522\,V\,V[/tex]

NOTE: The third row of the matrix is not required!

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to note that the matrix obtained from nodal analysis does not always have a unique solution. This is due to the fact that the circuit may have multiple paths for current to flow, leading to multiple possible combinations of voltage values at different nodes. However, we can still obtain a set of solutions by using algebraic manipulation or by setting certain variables to a known value. Additionally, we can use simulation software or physical measurements to verify the accuracy of our solutions. It is also important to keep in mind that nodal analysis is just one method of solving circuits and there may be other techniques that can provide a unique solution.

1. What is Nodal Analysis?

Nodal Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node (connection point) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero.

2. Why is Nodal Analysis used to solve for v1, v2, and v3?

Nodal Analysis is particularly useful in solving for multiple unknown voltages in a circuit because it allows for the use of simultaneous equations. By setting up equations at each node and solving them simultaneously, we can determine the voltage at each node without needing to know the values of resistors in the circuit.

3. What are the steps for using Nodal Analysis to solve for v1, v2, and v3?

The steps for using Nodal Analysis are as follows:

1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
  2. Select a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
  3. Write an equation for each node, using Kirchhoff's Current Law.
  4. Solve the resulting system of equations to determine the voltage at each node.

4. What are the limitations of Nodal Analysis?

Nodal Analysis can only be used for circuits that can be represented as a series of nodes connected by resistors. It cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or non-linear elements.

5. How does Nodal Analysis differ from Mesh Analysis?

Nodal Analysis focuses on determining the voltage at each node in a circuit, while Mesh Analysis is used to determine the current through each loop in a circuit. Nodal Analysis is generally more useful for circuits with multiple voltage sources, while Mesh Analysis is more useful for circuits with multiple current sources.