Electric Circuit HW: Find Potential Difference from Pass of Electrons

In summary: The potential energy (potential energy due to the difference in voltage) is 24 J and the kinetic energy is the energy of the particles (electrons) in the wire.
husky88

Homework Statement

The course that I am taking is so poorly organized. I keep having to do questions (for marks) for which I haven't even studied the principles yet. :mad:

But anyway, I was hoping someone could help me with this, I assume basic, question about electric circuits. I studied electric circuits last year and I barely remember.

4.24 * 10^18 electrons pass through a wire between points A and B in 0.0025 s. In the process, 24 J of heat are given to the wire. What is the difference in potential between points A and B?

Homework Equations

I = Q / t
V = I * R
P = V * I

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the current going through the wire to be
(4.24 * 10^18) * (1.60 * 10^-19) / 0.0025 = 271.36 A
What relationship between I and V from
V = I * R
P = V * I
can I use? What exactly does the 24 J represent?
Thank you for anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Power is energy(Joules) consumed in unit time. Can you proceed?

Yep, yep, yep. :smile:
Thank you so much.
I have the formulas, but I didn't know how to plug in the numbers.
So P = 24 J

EDIT:
So P = 24 J/ 0.0025 s
and
P = V * I

Last edited:
Not quite.
P=W(Joules)/time
So W/t = V*I and so ...

Yes, I realized later and I edited it.
Ok thank you again.

The voltage (potential difference) is simply the change in energy in J per Coloumb of charge.

So as you said in the first post you have 0.6784C passing through the wire and 24J of energy is released in the form of heat. Thus

[tex]V=\frac{\Delta E}{q}[/tex] and so on..

Note that this is the exact same answer you get if you calculate the power and so on, but its simpler.

Do you understand what I am saying?

Oh, I overlooked that formula for a more direct solution.
Thank you dontdisturbmycircles.

I didn't know if the change in energy is equal to the lost heat energy. I thought there could be potential or kinetic energy being lost or gained.

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop through which electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery or generator, wires or conductors, and various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts and determines the amount of energy that can be transferred to an electric charge as it moves between the two points.

3. How do you find potential difference in an electric circuit?

To find potential difference, you need to know the amount of charge (in coulombs) and the work done (in joules) to move that charge between two points. You can then use the equation V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the charge. In the case of this homework prompt, you can find potential difference by dividing the work done by the number of electrons that pass through a point in the circuit.

4. Why is it important to find potential difference in an electric circuit?

Potential difference is important because it determines the flow of electric current in a circuit. Without a potential difference, there would be no force pushing the electric charges to move, and therefore, no flow of current. Additionally, potential difference is necessary for the functioning of many electrical devices, such as light bulbs and motors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of potential difference and electric circuits?

To improve your understanding of potential difference and electric circuits, you can review basic concepts such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. You can also practice solving problems and working with different types of circuits. Additionally, conducting experiments and building simple circuits can help solidify your understanding of these concepts.