What is the meaning of Dot Product

In summary: In Physics, work is defined as force times distance, but what happens when the force is not parallel to the direction of movement?In summary, the dot product is a scalar valued algebraic operation that has many interesting properties, such as the commutative, distributive, and associative laws. It is also intimately related to lengths and angles, and can be used to define these notions for vectors. It is also useful in calculating work, determining the angle between vectors, and for projections in physics.
Shing
I just reviewed Dot Product,
but I don't know what it actually, exactly means.
would you tell me about its physical meaning or something interesting quality of it?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look it up in terms of projection of a vector on another...

Shing said:
I just reviewed Dot Product,
but I don't know what it actually, exactly means.
would you tell me about its physical meaning or something interesting quality of it?

Thanks
Well, a dot product can only possibly have a physical meaning when you're using it on vectors to which you've ascribed a physical meaning.

The dot product satisfies the commutative law, the distributive law, and it also satisfies an associative law with scalar multiplication -- those are very interesting qualities! And because the dot product is scalar valued, it allows you to reduce questions about vectors to questions about scalars! Because of these nice properties, the dot product is very convenient algebraic operation.

Geometrically, dot products are intimately related to lengths and angles. In fact, in many circumstances, dot products are used to define the notions of length and angle.

Last edited:
quasar987 said:
Yes, I did.
I just wonder what mathematician create Dot Product for.
I know the meaning of it as how book told me.
But I think my knowing is not enough.

Thank you

Last edited:
Like for example I always can't comprehend when they can separate a vector into two vectors. Or it just a definition? If so, why the mathematicians defined it?

Last edited:
Shing said:
Like for example I always can't comprehend when they can separate a vector into two vectors.
You can always write a number as a sum of two numbers, right? What's so hard about the same for vectors?

Hurkyl said:
You can always write a number as a sum of two numbers, right? What's so hard about the same for vectors?
I am sorry, I mean a vector can be separated into two vectors of different direction.

Shing said:
I am sorry, I mean a vector can be separated into two vectors of different direction.

Let v be a vector you want to write this way. Let w be a vector pointing in a different direction. Let x=v-w. Then, we can write v=x+w.

Exercise: prove x and w point in different directions. (Hint: one way is to relate the notion of "different direction" to dot products)

Hurkyl said:
Well, a dot product can only possibly have a physical meaning when you're using it on vectors to which you've ascribed a physical meaning.

The dot product satisfies the commutative law, the distributive law, and it also satisfies an associative law with scalar multiplication -- those are very interesting qualities! And because the dot product is scalar valued, it allows you to reduce questions about vectors to questions about scalars! Because of these nice properties, the dot product is very convenient algebraic operation.

Geometrically, dot products are intimately related to lengths and angles. In fact, in many circumstances, dot products are used to define the notions of length and angle.
I believe that is exhilarating.
But I am still in high school, not understanding why something satisfies the commutative law, the distributive law... and the other things don't.

Hurkyl said:
Let v be a vector you want to write this way. Let w be a vector pointing in a different direction. Let x=v-w. Then, we can write v=x+w.

Exercise: prove x and w point in different directions. (Hint: one way is to relate the notion of "different direction" to dot products)

May I know why we can use Binary operation on vector? Thanks!

dot product is a.b = |a||b|cosQ where Q is the angle

Also if two vectors are considered orthogonal if their dot product is zero (a.b=0)

vector product is a*b = |a||b|sinQn where n is a unit vector perpendicular to the plane containing a and b.

while in a cross product if two non-zero vectors a and b are parallel it is a × b = 0.

Well here are the following uses:

1. Calculating Work (Cross Product for Torque), W=f.d - force and distance are given as vectors. Notice how, the dot product eliminates all components of the force vector that arn't in the same direction as the distance vector...

2. As David said, it can be used to work out the angle between 2 vectors.

3. As I used to tell people: The Dot Product measures the 'Right-Angularity' of 2 vectors.

4. Dot Products; since they take the components only in the same direction, they can be useful when doing projections.

What is the meaning of Dot Product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product or inner product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single number. It is used to determine the relationship between two vectors, such as their angle or projection onto each other.

How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products together. For example, if we have two vectors a = [a1, a2, a3] and b = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be a ⋅ b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product can be interpreted geometrically as the product of the lengths of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the dot product will be larger when the vectors are parallel and smaller when they are perpendicular. It can also be used to find the projection of one vector onto another.

What are the properties of the dot product?

The dot product has several important properties, including commutativity (a ⋅ b = b ⋅ a), distributivity (a ⋅ (b + c) = a ⋅ b + a ⋅ c), and associativity with scalar multiplication (k(a ⋅ b) = (ka) ⋅ b). It is also equal to zero when one vector is perpendicular to the other.

What are some real-life applications of the dot product?

The dot product has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate work and energy in physics, determine the angle and magnitude of forces in engineering, and perform transformations and projections in computer graphics. It is also used in machine learning algorithms, such as principal component analysis, to find relationships between data points.