Path Components: Examples of Open and Closed?

In summary, a path component of a topological space X is an open or closed subset of X with its usual topology.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

Give examples to show Path components need not be open or closed.

I assume it means give one that is not open and one that is not closed.

So one a path component that is open (to satisfy not closed) and one that is closed (to satisfies not open). Or is the question asking for an example that is neither open nor closed?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it means give one that is not open or closed. In the example you gave, the path components are open or closed.

So its neither open nor closed. So something like (a,b]?

Or (-infinity,0] but is it a path component?

A path component of what? Of what space, and what topology on that space.

The question just says any topological space X.

So the question is give examples to show that Path components need not be open or closed in X.

Yes. That was, and still is, the question.

So I have to think of a specific topological space X. On R with the usual topology, how about (-infinity, infinity)? It is neither open nor closed? But how does it relate to a path component?

What do you mean by "A path component of what?"? Do you mean I need to specify a specific point?

Last edited:
By (-infinity,infinty) you mean R. This set is both open and closed, as a subset of R (with any topology on R). It is the unique path component of R with its normal topology. But it doesn't help you.

[0,1) is certainly a set that is neither open nor closed in R. But unless you find a topological space of which it is a subset and in which it is still neither open nor closed, and is a path component, then it is useless for the question at hand.

You can't just write down sets, you have to find a topological space. That is why I asked you 'is a path component of what'.

I don't think you understand what a path component is. What is it?

Last edited:
Path component of a topological space X are its maximal path connected subsets. So R wouldn't work well to find a path component that is neither open nor closed because they are all open.

There is only one path component of R. Why do you say 'they are all open'? It is things like that that make me think you don't understand what a path component is.

So in R the path component is (-infinity,infinty) which is open and closed so not what I am after.

How about consider a path component of R^2 with (0,infinity) x (0,infinity) or the upper right of the plane, not including (0,0). It is not closed because it dosen't contain all its adherent points, namely it doesn't include (0,0). It is not open because it contains more than its interior points, i.e it includes the positive x and y axis.

1. What is a path component?

A path component is a section or portion of a larger path, which is the specific route or direction that is followed to reach a particular destination. It can refer to physical paths, like roads or trails, or abstract paths, like mathematical functions.

2. How is a path component different from a path?

A path component is a subsection of a path, while a path is the complete route or direction from one point to another. A path can be made up of multiple path components, each leading to a different point along the way.

3. Can you give an example of a path component in a real-world scenario?

One example of a path component in a real-world scenario is a hiking trail. The hiking trail is the complete path, while each individual section or turn along the trail is a path component that leads to a specific location, such as a viewpoint or waterfall.

4. How are path components used in computer science?

In computer science, path components are commonly used to represent the structure of a file or directory system. Each folder or subfolder in a file system can be seen as a path component, with the full path representing the complete location of a specific file or folder.

5. Can a path component be a loop or branch?

Yes, a path component can be a loop or branch in certain scenarios. For example, in a flowchart, a loop or branch can be seen as a path component that leads to different outcomes depending on the conditions. In this case, the path component is not a physical route but rather a logical sequence of steps.