Simulating the gravitational interaction between two material points

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a computer model for the clumping of matter into galaxies in the universe. The model involves randomly distributing particles and simulating their interactions through the inverse square law, but there is uncertainty about how to model the repulsion between particles when they get too close to each other. Some suggestions are made, such as merging the particles or using a smoothing coefficient, but there is no clear solution at the moment.
Signifier
Hello, I am trying to make a very rough computer model of the clumping of matter into galaxies in the large scale structure of the universe. As a starting point, I'm randomly distributing particles across a rectangle and then letting all the particles (about 22500 particles) interact via the inverse square law. The particles can be thought of as stardust clumps, "mass clouds," whatever you want to call them; the important thing is that they don't have an internal structure.

However, I'm curious as to how to exactly model the interaction between these particles. With Newton's law alone, the "particles" attract each other until they're a distance 0 apart; but of course with real matter the two particles cannot occupy the same space. How might one model this "same space" repulsion? What I have been doing is saying that once the particles get within a certain radius of each other, they stop attracting one another. It might be better to say that within some radius they begin repelling each other, but I'm not sure what this repulsion would look like. The way I'm doing gives me some interesting results but it seems arbitrary and unphysical (see attached gif).

This may not be the right place for this post, but I don't consider this purely or primarily a computer simulation question... Thank anyone for any suggestions or criticisms.

Attachments

• cosm1.gif
    cosm1.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 462
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why would they repel? If 2 objects get too close to each other, presumably closer than the sum of their radii, just merge them into 1 particle with the combined mass and momentum of the original 2 objects.

Two objects will bump into each other if they approach closer than their radii. As far as whether or not they stick together after bumping, I would expect that it would depend on the velocity with which they collided - too fast, and they'd bounce off each other rather than stick. Without more information on the objects, I don't see how to make even a rough guess as to how to model whether the objects stick or bounce apart as a function of the impact velocity.

in HPC they use a smoothing coefficient which basically means its collisionless and you let them pass through or by each other.
...unfortunately my knowledge stops at that...

1. What is gravitational interaction and why is it important to simulate?

Gravitational interaction is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is important to simulate because it helps us understand and predict the movements of celestial objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How is the gravitational interaction between two material points simulated?

The gravitational interaction between two material points is simulated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the gravitational interaction between two material points?

The strength of the gravitational interaction between two material points is affected by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects and the smaller the distance between them, the stronger the gravitational force.

4. How does the simulation of gravitational interaction help us understand the behavior of objects in space?

By simulating gravitational interaction, we can accurately predict the orbits and movements of objects in space. This allows us to study and understand the behavior of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and comets.

5. Are there any limitations to simulating gravitational interaction between two material points?

Yes, there are limitations to simulating gravitational interaction. Some of these limitations include ignoring the effects of other forces, such as electromagnetic forces, and assuming that the objects are point masses with no size or shape. Additionally, the simulation may not accurately reflect real-world conditions due to simplifications and approximations made in the calculations.