Vector question to think about

• Thread starter nick227
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: You are correct, the angle between Y and Z would be 0 if the volume of the parallelopiped is zero. This means that Y and Z are parallel or antiparallel to each other.In summary, the conversation discusses the geometric significance of the expression X*(YxZ) when given vectors X, Y, and Z. It is explained that when X, Y, and Z are orthonormal, X*(YxZ) represents the volume of a parallelopiped with sides given by these vectors. The length of YxZ is also discussed, as well as the formulas for the dot and cross products. It is then mentioned that when the volume is zero, it is because the three vectors are on the same
nick227
my teacher told me to think about this and i don't seem to get it. given vectors X,Y,& Z; is there geometric significance when X*(YxZ)=0

* is dot product and x is cross product

Mathematics news on Phys.org
geometry

Say X, Y and Z are orthonormal. Consider the part of X in the plane determined by the vectors Y and Z.

The length of Y x Z is the area of a parallelogram with adjacent sides given by Y and Z.

X*(YxZ) is the the volume of a parallopiped having sides, at one vertex, given by X, Y, and Z. You can see that by using the formulas [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and length of [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The length of Y x Z is the area of a parallelogram with adjacent sides given by Y and Z.

X*(YxZ) is the the volume of a parallopiped having sides, at one vertex, given by X, Y, and Z. You can see that by using the formulas [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and length of [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex].

:mad: you shouldn't have just given him the answer

While HallsofIvy gave the interpretation when that special product is generally nonzero, there's still some interpretation left to do [for the OP] for the zero case.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:

isn't [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex]?

also, from that definition, would the angle between Y and Z equal to 0? when i break the given down, i get:
|X||Y|cos(theta) x |X||Z|cos(theta).
i can't really see the geometric significance.

Combinations of cross products and dot products like that are known as triple products.

wait so then if this triple product equals to 0, then does that mean the parallopiped is a cube?

nick227 said:
isn't [itex]X x Y= |X||Y|sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]X*Y= |X||Y|cos(\theta)[/itex]?

You are (mostly) correct.
It is [itex] | \vec X \times \vec Y | = |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] and [itex] \vec X \cdot \vec Y = |\vec X| |\vec Y| \cos\theta [/itex], where [itex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the vectors. ([itex] \vec X \times \vec Y [/itex] is a vector with magnitude [itex] |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] with direction perpendicular to the plane determined by [itex]\vec X [/itex] and [itex]\vec Y [/itex], according to the right-hand-rule.)
(I suspect HallsofIvy's typo was due to a confusion over the symbols " * " and its synonym " X " for multiplication.)

HallsofIvy gave the interpretation of the (scalar-)triple-product as the volume of a parallelopiped (a generally-slanted box with parallel sides) formed with those vectors. How would you describe this box if its volume were zero? What does that tell you about the relationship between [itex]\vec X[/itex], [itex]\vec Y[/itex] and [itex]\vec Z[/itex], along the lines of cornfall's suggestion?

robphy said:
You are (mostly) correct.
It is [itex] | \vec X \times \vec Y | = |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] and [itex] \vec X \cdot \vec Y = |\vec X| |\vec Y| \cos\theta [/itex], where [itex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the vectors. ([itex] \vec X \times \vec Y [/itex] is a vector with magnitude [itex] |\vec X| |\vec Y| |\sin\theta| [/itex] with direction perpendicular to the plane determined by [itex]\vec X [/itex] and [itex]\vec Y [/itex], according to the right-hand-rule.)
(I suspect HallsofIvy's typo was due to a confusion over the symbols " * " and its synonym " X " for multiplication.)

HallsofIvy gave the interpretation of the (scalar-)triple-product as the volume of a parallelopiped (a generally-slanted box with parallel sides) formed with those vectors. How would you describe this box if its volume were zero? What does that tell you about the relationship between [itex]\vec X[/itex], [itex]\vec Y[/itex] and [itex]\vec Z[/itex], along the lines of cornfall's suggestion?

if X,Y, & Z are orthonormal, than is X = (YxZ)? also, if the volume of the box is zero, then its not a 3d figure, its 2d. in that case, its a square.

nick227 said:
if the volume of the box is zero, then its not a 3d figure, its 2d. in that case, its a square.

So, what does that mean for vectors X, Y, and Z?

robphy said:
So, what does that mean for vectors X, Y, and Z?

is it that all three vectors are on the same plane?

Last edited:
Ok that's one way that the triple product is zero.
But suppose that X, Y, and Z are distinct nonzero vectors.
In fact, take a special case when X, Y, and Z are all vectors of length 1.
( When X,Y,Z are mutually orthogonal, you have a cube... with volume 1. )

Can you form a different parallelepiped with distinct nonzero vectors (with length 1) with a volume that is almost zero?... from there nudge things so that the volume is zero. What can you say about the vectors X,Y, and Z in that case? Now generalize to the general case.

nick227 said:
is it that all three vectors are on the same plane?

ah... you changed your answer on me.

That's correct.

robphy said:
ah... you changed your answer on me.

That's correct.

well i spent a lot of time thinking about it, and it finally clicked. Thanks for all the help!

HallsofIvy said:

nick227 said:
Yes to the last- that's exactly what I said. No to the first. X x Y is a vector, not a number and what you give is its length.

also, from that definition, would the angle between Y and Z equal to 0? when i break the given down, i get:
|X||Y|cos(theta) x |X||Z|cos(theta).
i can't really see the geometric significance.
What you wrote makes no sense- you cannot take the the cross product of two numbers!
What does X*(YxZ)= 0 tell you about X and YxZ? What does that tell you, then, about X and both Y and Z?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and labeled with its magnitude.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity as it only has a value (magnitude), while velocity is a vector quantity as it has both a value (magnitude) and direction.

3. How do you add or subtract vectors?

Vectors can be added or subtracted using the head-to-tail method, where the tail of one vector is placed at the head of another vector. The resulting vector is the one that connects the tail of the first vector to the head of the last vector. The magnitude and direction of the resulting vector can be determined using trigonometric functions.

4. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors or to project one vector onto another.

5. In what fields is the concept of vectors commonly used?

Vectors are commonly used in mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as navigation, graphics, and data analysis.