Specific heat of certain hard water(hardness measured with gpg)

In summary, The speaker is looking for a way to find the specific heat of water samples based on their hardness, measured in grains per gallon. They acknowledge that this measurement may vary due to the presence of dissolved rocks and minerals. They hope to use this information to compare the specific heat of hard water to that of softened water and calculate boiling times. They tried to research this topic but had no luck, and are now seeking help from others. A suggested solution is to approximate the hardness as calcium carbonate and look for its specific heat in the Chemical Engineers' Handbook.
ryancheeseman
ok so this is my first post and I am not sure if what I am looking for is even possiable or that I am even posting in the right form.. anyways

im looking for a way to find the specific heat of a water sample depending on the hardness, i measure hardness with grains per gallon (gpg). and I am realistic i realize that hardness even at a measured or set rate is different between water samples because of the variations of dissolved rock and minerals, so it will be an estimation at best.

idealy i want to be able to figure out specific heat of a hard water sample so i can compare it to the specific heat of filtered softened water, and then be able to compute boiling time ect...

i tried to google something about it but had no luck. maybe someone here can shed some light.

thanks,
ryan cheeseman

Science news on Phys.org
Just approximate it as calcium carbonate and look of the specific heat of calcium carbonate solutions in the literature, probably the Chemical Engineers' Handbook.

1. What is the definition of specific heat?

The specific heat of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of that substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is specific heat related to the hardness of water?

The specific heat of water varies depending on its mineral content, which can contribute to water hardness. Hard water has a higher mineral content and therefore a higher specific heat compared to soft water.

3. How is the hardness of water measured?

The hardness of water is commonly measured in grains per gallon (gpg), which refers to the amount of calcium carbonate present in the water. Other units of measurement include parts per million (ppm) and milligrams per liter (mg/L).

4. What are the effects of hard water on specific heat?

Hard water has a higher specific heat, meaning it requires more energy to raise its temperature compared to soft water. This can result in longer heating times and higher energy costs for households using hard water.

5. Can the specific heat of water be changed by removing minerals?

No, the specific heat of water is an intrinsic property that is not affected by the presence or absence of minerals. However, removing minerals from hard water can improve the efficiency of heat transfer and reduce energy costs.