Finding the point of intersection of two lines

In summary, the problem was to find the point of intersection between two lines given in parametric form. The solution involved setting up equations for the individual x, y, and z coordinates and then equating them to find values for \lambda and \mu. These values were then substituted into the equations to find the point of intersection. The final answer was \lambda = 4 and \mu = 1, which satisfied the equations and gave the point of intersection.
malty
Gold Member
[SOLVED]Finding the point of intersection of two lines

Hi, I would really, really appreciate it if someone could help me with this.

Homework Statement

Find the point of intersection between the lines:
[tex] R_1(\lambda)=[1,\hspace {4} 0 \hspace {4} ,-1] + \lambda[1, \hspace {4} 1,\hspace {4} 1] [/tex]

[tex] R_2(\lambda)=[1, \hspace {4}2,\hspace {4} 1] +\mu[4, \hspace {4}2, \hspace {4}2,][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to do this, my line of thought was that I need to somehow get rid of the constants variable [tex] \lambda and \mu[/tex] by equating

[tex] R_1(\lambda)=R_2(\mu) [/tex]
I got:

[tex]\mu[4,2,2]-\lambda[1,1,1]=[0,-2,-2][/tex]

This is Where I think I'm stuck. I think I need a second equation that relates lambda and mu but I can't seem to find one, I think that it may be something to do with the angles of two intersecting lines before and after the point of intersection being the same, but really I'm just grasping at straws.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just set up the equations for the individual x, y, z, coordinates:

In [itex]R_1(\lambda)= [1, 0 ,-1] + \lambda[1, 1, 1] [/itex]
[itex]x= 1+ \lambda[/itex], [itex]y= \lambda[/itex] and [itex]z= -1+ \lambda[/itex]

In [itex]R_2(\mu)= [1, 2, 1]+ \mu [4, 2, 2][/itex]
[itex]x= 1+ 4\mu[/itex], [itex]y= 2+ 2\mu[/itex],and [itex]z= 1+ 2\mu[/itex]
Now set those equal:
[itex]1+ \lambda= 1+ 4\mu[/itex], [itex]\lambda= 2+ 2\mu[/itex], and [itex]-1+\lambda= 1+ 2\mu[/itex].

That gives you three equations for the two unknown numbers [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex]. "In general", you can't solve three equations for two unknowns because, "in general" two lines in three dimensions are "skew"- they don't intersect. Go ahead and solve 2 of the equations for [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex], then put those values into the third equation to see if they satisfy that equation. If they do, those values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] give the point of intersection. If they don't then the lines do not intersect.

HallsofIvy said:
Just set up the equations for the individual x, y, z, coordinates:

In [itex]R_1(\lambda)= [1, 0 ,-1] + \lambda[1, 1, 1] [/itex]
[itex]x= 1+ \lambda[/itex], [itex]y= \lambda[/itex] and [itex]z= -1+ \lambda[/itex]

In [itex]R_2(\mu)= [1, 2, 1]+ \mu [4, 2, 2][/itex]
[itex]x= 1+ 4\mu[/itex], [itex]y= 2+ 2\mu[/itex],and [itex]z= 1+ 2\mu[/itex]
Now set those equal:
[itex]1+ \lambda= 1+ 4\mu[/itex], [itex]\lambda= 2+ 2\mu[/itex], and [itex]-1+\lambda= 1+ 2\mu[/itex].

That gives you three equations for the two unknown numbers [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex]. "In general", you can't solve three equations for two unknowns because, "in general" two lines in three dimensions are "skew"- they don't intersect. Go ahead and solve 2 of the equations for [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex], then put those values into the third equation to see if they satisfy that equation. If they do, those values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] give the point of intersection. If they don't then the lines do not intersect.

Thanks a bundle!

I got them to [tex] \lambda = 4[/tex] and [tex] \mu = 1[/tex] and they satisfied the third equation. But I don't really understand why [tex] \lambda[/tex] and [tex] \mu [/tex] give the point of intersection . . .

Last edited:
malty said:
Thanks a bundle!

I got them to [tex] \lambda = 4[/tex] and [tex] \mu = 1[/tex] and they satisfied the third equation. But I don't really understand why [tex] \lambda[/tex] and [tex] \mu [/tex] give the point of intersection . . .

You've found the values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] such that [itex]R_1(\lambda)=R_2(\mu)[/itex], so plugging your value for [itex]\lambda[/itex] into R_1 will give you a point. Plugging your value for [itex]\mu[/itex] into R_2 will give you another point. But necessarily, these points will be the same. Hence this is the point of intersection.

cristo said:
You've found the values of [itex]\lambda[/itex] and [itex]\mu[/itex] such that [itex]R_1(\lambda)=R_2(\mu)[/itex], so plugging your value for [itex]\lambda[/itex] into R_1 will give you a point. Plugging your value for [itex]\mu[/itex] into R_2 will give you another point. But necessarily, these points will be the same. Hence this is the point of intersection.

Ah, I understand it now, thanks a million guys :D

What is the definition of the point of intersection of two lines?

The point of intersection of two lines is the point where the two lines overlap and have the same coordinates. It is the solution to their system of equations.

How do you find the point of intersection of two lines?

To find the point of intersection, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve solving the system of equations formed by the two lines.

What is the significance of the point of intersection of two lines?

The point of intersection is significant because it represents the solution to the system of equations formed by the two lines. It is the point where the two lines meet and have the same coordinates.

Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect at one point. This is because two lines with different slopes will never meet again after intersecting once.

What happens if two lines do not intersect?

If two lines do not intersect, it means that they are parallel and will never meet. This is because they have the same slope and will never have the same coordinates at any point.