Intersection of 2 curves

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for solving the equation x+y=1 where x=2(y^2). The first method results in y=0 and y=1, while the second method gives y=-1 and y=1/2. The difference between solving for y by setting it equal to 1 versus setting it equal to 0 is that for an equation to equal 0, one of the factors must be 0, while for an equation to equal 1, there are multiple possibilities for the factors. This explains why the two methods result in different answers.
fk378
I'm trying to find where x+y=1 meets x=2(y^2)

To solve for y I set up:
2(y^2)=1-y
2(y^2)+y=1
y(2y+1)=1
I have y=1 and 2y+1=1
for 2y+1=1, 2y=0 so y=0
y=0,1

But, I notice that my teacher did:
2(y^2)+y-1=0
(2y+1)(y-1)=0
y=-1, 1/2

Why are these 2 methods bringing about different answers? Shouldn't they be the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neither y=0 nor y=1 solves y*(2y+1)=1. Try to think about that a little.

Last edited:
That is true...if I plug it in, it doesn't work...so how come if I solve for y, those are the 2 answers I get? And what's the difference between solving for it by setting it equal to 1, and setting it equal to 0?

Because a*b=0 means a=0 or b=0. a*b=1 does not mean a=1 or b=1. After all, (1/2)*2=1 and neither of those is equal to 1.

Last edited:
fk378 said:
That is true...if I plug it in, it doesn't work...so how come if I solve for y, those are the 2 answers I get? All I can say is that you are solving wrong. The numbers y= 0 and y= 1
And what's the difference between solving for it by setting it equal to 1, and setting it equal to 0?
If a and b are numbers and ab= 0, then either a= 0 or b= 0-the crucial point is that 0 divided by anything (other than 0) is 0. If a is not 0, divide both sides of the equation by a and you get b= 0. If b is not 0, divide both sides of the equation by b and you get a= 0.

That is not true for 1 or any other non-zero number. If ab= 1, then it might be that a= 1/2, b= 2. Or a= 1/4, b= 4, or ... many other possibilities. That is why, when factoring to solve an equation you MUST get it equal to 0.

1. What is the intersection of 2 curves?

The intersection of 2 curves refers to the point or points where the two curves intersect or cross each other on a graph. This is also known as the solution to the system of equations represented by the two curves.

2. How can I find the intersection of 2 curves?

To find the intersection of 2 curves, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve the system of equations. Alternatively, you can also use graphical methods by graphing the two curves and visually determining the point of intersection.

3. Can two curves have more than one intersection?

Yes, two curves can have more than one intersection. This occurs when the two curves have multiple points in common, resulting in more than one solution to the system of equations.

4. What does it mean if two curves do not intersect?

If two curves do not intersect, it means that there is no solution to the system of equations represented by the two curves. This could indicate that the two curves are parallel or that they do not have any points in common.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the intersection of 2 curves?

Finding the intersection of 2 curves has many real-world applications, such as in economics to determine the equilibrium point of supply and demand curves, in physics to find the intersection of two trajectories, and in engineering to determine the optimal solution to a problem represented by two curves.