What happens to atoms when they enter a black hole?

• Thread starter h.g.Whiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holes Loop
In summary, the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy is much smaller in terms of mass than the much larger black hole at the center of the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. If our sun were to be sucked into the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy, it would cease to have any physical existence, although its mass, spin, etc. would modify those of the hole.
h.g.Whiz
I was wondering which has more mass The Milky Way or the supermassive black hole at the center. And I was wondering if our sun was sucked in and suppose you could measure the size it would be reduced to after going in how big would it be. I guess what I really want to know is what happens to the space in between the electron and the nucleus of an atom after entering a black hole? do they touch? I'm assuming they do . what about the sub atomic particles, does the same thing happen to them? I'm not sure how the all that mass fits in a black hole and it be as small as it is. there has to be a fantastic amount of smaller particles that are yet to be discovered that are also compressed for everything to fit. Is the Hadron Collider in Swizterland going to find them .

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi, H.G.
The atoms as 'large' objects cease to exist at the neutron star stage. That's where the gravity is so strong that electrons are forced into the nuclei. The resultant degenerate matter is referred to as 'neutronium', and it's the densest substance that can exist.
When you get to the black hole stage, there really isn't any matter left. If our sun were to be sucked into one, it would cease to have any physical existence, although its mass, spin, etc. would modify those of the hole. Do keep in mind, though, that the gravitational attraction of a black hole outside of the 'static limit' is the same as it would be for any other body of the same mass. If our sun were to be somehow compressed to black hole status, Earth would continue to orbit it as if nothing had happened. (But the nights would be a bit longer.)
This is outside of my area, so I defer to Space Tiger or other astrophysicists on board for a proper explanation. In fact, it would probably be appropriate for this thread to be moved to the Astronomy/Astrophysics/Related Weirdness forum.

Last edited:
h.g.Whiz said:
I was wondering which has more mass The Milky Way or the supermassive black hole at the center.

IIRC the supermassive black hole at the center of Milky is small compared with many other such-----it is only 2 to 3 million solar masses.

Milkyway galaxy mass is on the order of 400 billion solar. Some estimates are as high as one trillion.

So the whole galaxy is on the order of 100 thousand times more more massive than the black hole at the center.

What is a supermassive loop hole?

A supermassive loop hole is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the existence of a massive, elongated opening in the fabric of spacetime. This opening would allow for the passage of matter and energy through a shortcut, potentially allowing for faster-than-light travel.

How big can a supermassive loop hole be?

The size of a supermassive loop hole is still unknown and purely theoretical. Some theories suggest that it could be as small as a few millimeters, while others propose that it could be as large as a few light-years.

Do supermassive loop holes actually exist?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that supermassive loop holes exist. They are purely theoretical and have not been observed or proven through scientific research.

What are the potential implications of supermassive loop holes?

If supermassive loop holes do exist, they could potentially revolutionize our understanding of time and space. They could also open up the possibility of interstellar travel and make it possible to explore distant parts of the universe in a shorter amount of time.

How are scientists studying and researching supermassive loop holes?

Scientists are using a combination of mathematical models and computer simulations to explore the potential existence and properties of supermassive loop holes. They are also conducting experiments at particle accelerators to try and recreate the extreme conditions that may be required for a loop hole to form.