Should I pursue a Second PhD in Mathematics to further my research in Biology?

In summary, you should definitely consider a second PhD in mathematics if you want a career in biology.
Willses
First time poster, frequent reader.

I am about 6 months away from getting my PhD in Biochemistry, though I am strictly a computational biologist (comparative genomics). My goal in pursing this degree was to use math (I have BA in Mathematics and Integrated Science) to solve biological problems. Hasn't really happened. I have had some opportunities to dabble in both graph theory and information theory while working on my thesis, but I could never get those aspects of my research going (my boss left, not a lot of other math people around). If I am interested in becoming more serious about my mathematical education, is it stupid to go for a second PhD in mathematics? The goal would be to eventually revisit some of these biology problems, but with formal mathematics training.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation? I know many physicists who made the jump to biology, a transition eased by the fact that they had formal math training. I am just looking for the best way to gain that training. After going through one degree, the notion of doing it again seems ridiculous to me, but I am not sure I see other options.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you probably shouldn't take my advice- I'm still in high school and you know more than me, but i would think if you want a career in the biology then self training in mathematics would be enough. if you want a career in biomathematics or in math i guess you might want the phd in math. it should depend on your career goals. but in my opinion, self teaching is the best way to learn the material and i infact learn the best that way. its fun, you move at your pace, and do the problems you want and its effective. its possible to be great at math but have no phd.

One advantage to the postdoc treadmill is that it gives you a lot of time to try and define your abilities...

1. What is a Second PhD in Mathematics?

A Second PhD in Mathematics is a doctoral degree that can be pursued after completing a first PhD in Mathematics. It involves conducting original research in a specific area of mathematics and defending a dissertation that contributes to the field.

2. Can I pursue a Second PhD in Mathematics in a different subfield than my first PhD?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Second PhD in Mathematics in a different subfield than your first PhD. However, it is important to note that this may require additional coursework to gain a strong foundation in the new subfield.

3. Do I need a first PhD in Mathematics to pursue a Second PhD?

No, it is not a requirement to have a first PhD in Mathematics in order to pursue a Second PhD. Some universities may have specific requirements for applicants without a previous PhD, such as completing a certain number of graduate-level courses in mathematics.

4. How long does it take to complete a Second PhD in Mathematics?

The length of time it takes to complete a Second PhD in Mathematics can vary, but it typically takes around 3-5 years. This can depend on factors such as the individual's research topic, progress, and the requirements of the program.

5. What are the career prospects after completing a Second PhD in Mathematics?

After completing a Second PhD in Mathematics, individuals can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, or in industry as data scientists, consultants, or analysts. The advanced research skills and expertise gained from a Second PhD can also open up opportunities in government agencies and private organizations.