Improved Gas Mileage with Increased Tire Pressure?

In summary, inflating car tires by 10-20% can result in an increase in gas mileage from 22.5 to 25 mpg, but may also lead to increased asymmetric tire wear and decreased traction. While this may still be a cost-effective option with high gas prices, it is important to ensure that the tires are not overly inflated. Based on personal experience and the conversation, a 2psi increase in tire pressure can result in a 2mpg improvement in gas mileage.
Loren Booda
I had my car tires inflated by 10-20%, and my mileage (mostly city) went from 22.5 to 25 mpg. Does this sound feasible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The downside is increased asymmetric tire wear, with the middle wearing out faster than if the tire were correctly inflated. But with gas prices where they are, it still may be an economic win. Traction is less though, so there is an increased chance of crashing in some situations.

Very interesting.

I don't think that my tires are so overinflated, though. Assuming the tires are now at the correct pressure, do my figures above agree with automotive experience?

I increased my tire pressure by 2psi and saw about a 2mpg improvement in gas mileage. Sounds similar to what you are seeing.

1. How does increasing tire pressure improve gas mileage?

Increasing tire pressure reduces the rolling resistance of the tires, which means they require less energy (and therefore, less fuel) to move forward. This ultimately leads to improved gas mileage.

2. How much can I expect to improve my gas mileage by increasing tire pressure?

The amount of improvement in gas mileage will vary depending on your specific vehicle and driving habits. However, studies have shown that increasing tire pressure by just a few pounds per square inch (psi) can result in a 3-4% increase in gas mileage.

3. Is there a recommended tire pressure for improving gas mileage?

Yes, every vehicle has a specific recommended tire pressure that can be found in the owner's manual or on a sticker inside the driver's side door. It is important to follow this recommended pressure for optimal gas mileage and tire performance.

4. Are there any risks associated with increasing tire pressure?

Increasing tire pressure beyond the recommended amount can lead to overinflation, which can cause uneven tire wear and potentially damage the tires. It is important to not exceed the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire sidewall.

5. Do I need to constantly monitor and adjust my tire pressure for improved gas mileage?

It is recommended to check and adjust tire pressure at least once a month to ensure it is at the recommended level. However, once you find the optimal tire pressure for your vehicle, it should remain fairly consistent unless there is a significant change in temperature or driving conditions.