Solid State: Electron in periodic potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of first order approximation of time independent perturbation theory to find the wave function of an electron in a periodic potential, starting from the wave function of a free electron. The equations for potential energy in reciprocal space and the free electron wave function are provided, along with the resulting wave function in first order approximation. The conversation also mentions difficulties in solving the problem, specifically in dealing with cases where k' does not equal k+g.
natugnaro

Homework Statement

Starting from the wave function of free electron and applying first order approximation of time independent perturbation theory find wave function of electron in periodic potential.

Homework Equations

Potential energy in reciprocal space
[tex]E_{p}(\vec{r}) = \sum_{\vec{g} }E_{g}\cdot e^{i\vec{g}\vec{r}}[/tex]

free electron wave function
[tex]\phi_{k}(\vec{r})=e^{i\vec{k}\vec{r}[/tex]

free electron wave function in first order approximation
[tex]\Psi_{k}(\vec{r})=\phi_{k}(\vec{r})+\sum_{\vec{k}^{'}\neq\vec{k}}\frac{\int\phi^{*}_{k'}(\vec{r})\cdot E_{p}(\vec{r})\cdot\phi_{k}(\vec{r})\cdot d^{3}r}{E(k)-E(k')}\cdot\phi_{k'}(\vec{r})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int\phi^{*}_{k'}(\vec{r})\cdot E_{p}(\vec{r})\cdot\phi_{k}(\vec{r})\cdot d^{3}r=\sum_{\vec{g} }E_{g}\int e^{i(-\vec{k'}+\vec{g}+\vec{k})\cdot\vec{r}}d^{3}r=\sum_{\vec{g}}E_{g}\cdot\delta_{\vec{k'},\vec{k}+\vec{g}}[/tex]

I don't understan the last part , transition from complex exponential to Kronecker delta.
I have two options:
1.) When vectors satisfy k'=k+g then I have integral of [tex]\int d^{3}r[/tex] which must be 1, I am not clear about this.
2.) when vectors k' and k+g are not equal I have integral of [tex]\int [Cos(a) + i*Sin(a)] d^{3}r[/tex]
(a is some real number from the dot product in exponent) ,
this integral should be zero, but I don't see how ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your wavefunction isn't properly normalized. It should be

[tex]\phi_k(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}e^{i\bm k \cdot \bm r}[/tex]

So, what results is the integral

[tex]\frac{1}{V}\int d\mathbf{r} e^{i(-\mathbf{k}' + \mathbf{g} + \mathbf{k})\cdot \mathbf{r}}[/tex]

If [itex]\mathbf{k}' = \mathbf{k} + \mathbf{g}[/itex], then you just have an integral over the volume of your crystal, so you get V/V = 1.

If [itex]\mathbf{k}' \neq \mathbf{k} + \mathbf{g}[/itex], then the integral evaluates to

[tex]\left.\frac{1}{V}\frac{e^{iq_x x}}{iq_x}\frac{e^{iq_y y}}{iq_y}\frac{e^{iq_z z}}{iq_z}\right|_{\mathcal{V}}[/tex]

where it is integrated over the volume [itex]\mathcal{V}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{q} = -\mathbf{k}' + \mathbf{k} + \mathbf{g}[/itex]. Now, the wavevectors k', g and k must take values such that the wavefunction vanishes at the boundary. Since the result is proportional to your wavefunction, it vanishes at the boundary, and the result is zero.

Hence, if k' = k + g, the integral gives 1; if k' =/= k + g, the integral is zero. We write the result compactly using the kronecker delta [itex]\delta_{k',k+g}[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks for help.
The case k'=k+g is clear to me now, but I'm still having difficulties with k' =/= k + g.

Since the result is proportional to your wavefunction, it vanishes at the boundary, and the result is zero.
I can't make [tex]\left.\frac{1}{V}\frac{e^{iq_x x}}{iq_x}\frac{e^{iq_y y}}{iq_y}\frac{e^{iq_z z}}{iq_z}[/tex] proportional to [tex]\phi_k(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}e^{i\bm k \cdot \bm r}[/tex]
If q=k then it is proportional, but q=-k'+k+g

natugnaro said:
Thanks for help.
The case k'=k+g is clear to me now, but I'm still having difficulties with k' =/= k + g.

I can't make [tex]\left.\frac{1}{V}\frac{e^{iq_x x}}{iq_x}\frac{e^{iq_y y}}{iq_y}\frac{e^{iq_z z}}{iq_z}[/tex] proportional to [tex]\phi_k(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{V}}e^{i\bm k \cdot \bm r}[/tex]
If q=k then it is proportional, but q=-k'+k+g

[tex]e^{iq_x x} e^{iq_y y} e^{iq_z z} = e^{i q \cdot r} \propto \phi_q(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

k, k' and g all satisfy the boundary conditions of the problem such that the wavefunction vanishes at the boundary. Since q is just a sum of these [itex]\phi_q[/itex] will also vanish at the boundary.

I understand transition to Kronecker delta now.
But I run into more difficulties trying to solve this problem.
I'll put it aside for now.
regards Mute.

What is the definition of "Solid State"?

Solid state refers to the physical state of matter in which atoms or molecules are tightly packed and held together by strong intermolecular forces, resulting in a rigid and fixed structure.

What is an electron in periodic potential?

An electron in periodic potential refers to an electron that is moving through a crystalline solid, experiencing the periodic potential of the crystal lattice. This potential arises from the arrangement of atoms in the crystal and affects the behavior of the electron.

How does the periodic potential affect the behavior of an electron?

The periodic potential affects the behavior of an electron by causing it to move in a periodic manner, similar to the crystal lattice. This results in the formation of energy bands, where the electron can exist in specific energy levels known as allowed states, and cannot exist in between these levels.

What are the properties of energy bands in a solid state?

The properties of energy bands in a solid state include their width, shape, and position in energy space. These properties are determined by the strength of the periodic potential and the number of atoms in the crystal lattice.

How does the concept of energy bands help us understand the properties of materials?

The concept of energy bands helps us understand the properties of materials by providing insight into their electrical, thermal, and optical properties. The properties of energy bands determine how easily electrons can move through a material, how it conducts heat, and how it interacts with light. This understanding is crucial in the design and development of new materials for various applications.