Prevent Overheating of Laptop After Watching DVDs

• Thread starter Lonewolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, avoid watching DVDs on laptops that are over-heated, use a fan to help cool the device, and find a processor that runs cool.
Lonewolf
I recently watched a DVD on my laptop, after which, my laptop became seriously over-heated. It wouldn't work properly for about an hour. Is there any (sensible) method of avoiding this, apart from not watching DVDs?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could try giving it good ventilation, mounting it so air can flow under the base could help, just a guess seeing as I don't own a laptop. I think you can also buy small fans that attach to the expansion card ports. :)

Laptops generally use two methods of airflow to cool themselves. The first method (and superior, imo) is the intake on the side, exhaust on the back. The second method involves intake from the bottom/exhaust on side/back.

A good plan is to make sure you set it on a solid surface, so it's rubber "feet" will keep enough space between it and the surface. A wood surface is the best, just keep it off metal and other good conductors of heat.

Funny how laptops never work that well on their namesake...laps

Originally posted by Considering
Funny how laptops never work that well on their namesake...laps
Yeah, and don't the faster ones tend to also run hotter as well? So if you want a real screamer then perhaps it will also be a real scorcher too.
I would look for the coolest running processor around to avoid heating the darn thing to the point where you can't even keep it on your lap. Well, coolest running within reason that is, haha, my old compaq 386/25 is WAY COOL . How about a VIA gigapro type processor, any thoughts?

Originally posted by Lonewolf
I recently watched a DVD on my laptop, after which, my laptop became seriously over-heated. It wouldn't work properly for about an hour. Is there any (sensible) method of avoiding this, apart from not watching DVDs?
The best advice is use common sense. Keep the cooling good by not resting it on a bed or anything that will insulate it. Buy a pad for it that keeps an air pocket underneath it if necessary. Run it in energy saving mode whenever possible.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

1. What causes a laptop to overheat after watching DVDs?

Laptops can overheat after watching DVDs due to the intense processing power required to play the DVD, which can cause the internal components to generate excess heat. Additionally, the DVD drive itself can also generate heat, further contributing to the overheating.

2. How can I prevent my laptop from overheating while watching DVDs?

There are a few ways to prevent overheating while watching DVDs. First, make sure your laptop is placed on a flat, hard surface to allow for proper airflow. You can also try using a laptop cooling pad or fan to help dissipate heat. Additionally, regularly cleaning the laptop's vents and fans can help prevent overheating.

3. Can watching DVDs on a laptop damage it?

Watching DVDs on a laptop can potentially cause damage if the laptop overheats. Overheating can lead to issues such as reduced battery life, decreased performance, and in extreme cases, permanent damage to the internal components.

4. How long can I safely watch DVDs on my laptop without it overheating?

The length of time you can safely watch DVDs on your laptop without it overheating can vary depending on factors such as the laptop's processing power, the intensity of the DVD being played, and the laptop's ventilation. It is generally recommended to take breaks every 1-2 hours to allow the laptop to cool down.

5. Are there any software solutions to prevent overheating while watching DVDs?

Some laptops have built-in power management software that can help regulate the laptop's temperature while watching DVDs. Additionally, you can try using a software program specifically designed to monitor and control your laptop's temperature, such as SpeedFan or HWMonitor.