General Solution of a Differential Equation with Given Solution y=e^x

In summary: Wronskian:W = \left|\begin{array}{cc}e^x & (-x^{-1})e^x \\ e^x & -(-x^{-2})e^x\end{array}\right| = -2x^{-1}e^{2x}...which is non-zero for all x (except at x=0, but this doesn't matter since y1 and y2 are defined on an open interval containing 0). So your solutions y1=e^x and y2=-x^{-1}e^x are linearly independent and thus form a fundamental set of solutions for your DE. Therefore, the general solution is y(x)=C1e^x
Thumper88

Homework Statement

Consider the differential equation:

[tex] (x^2 + x) \frac {d^2y} {dx^2} - (x^2 - 2) \frac {dy} {dx} - (x + 2)y = 0[/tex]

Given that [tex] y = e^x [/tex] is a solution, what is the general solution of this equation?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start...please help :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are already given one solution, this would seem to suggest using the method of reduction of order...so assume an ansatz [itex]y_2(x)=v(x)y_1(x)=v(x)e^x[/itex] where [itex]v(x)[/itex] is an unkown function of [itex]x[/itex]...If you use the chain rule to find the first and second derivatives of [itex]y_2(x)[/itex] (they will involve [itex]v(x)[/itex] and its derivatives) and substitute them into your original DE, you can obtain a differential equation for [itex]v(x)[/itex] which should be easier to solve. Then just solve that DE and discard any solutions that make [itex]y_2(x)[/itex] linearly dependent on [itex]y_1(x)[/itex].

So I have the derivatives (u = v(x)):

[tex] y_2 = u y_1 = ue^x [/tex]

[tex] y_2' = uy_1' + y_1u' = ue^x + e^xu' [/tex]

[tex] y_2'' = uy_1'' + 2u'y_1' + y_1u'' = ue^x + 2u'e^x + e^xu'' [/tex]

Putting these into the original DE...

[tex] (x^2 + x) \frac {d^2y} {dx^2} - (x^2 - 2) \frac {dy} {dx} - (x + 2)y = 0[/tex]

[tex] (x^2 + x)(ue^x + 2u'e^x + e^xu'') - (x^2 - 2)(ue^x + e^xu') - (x + 2)(ue^x) = 0[/tex]

Not sure where to go with it next...my teacher gave a hint that there will be integration of parts.

ok, well...to further things a little...

I distributed everything out and added like terms, leading to:

[tex] 3u'x^2e^x + 2u'xe^x - 2u'e^x + u''x^2e^x + u''xe^x = 0 [/tex]

Using the variable transformation, [tex] w = u' [/tex] and [tex] w' = u'' [/tex]

[tex] 3wx^2e^x + 2wxe^x - 2we^x + w'x^2e^x + w'xe^x = 0 [/tex]

Still looks like a mess to me...?

yea, I'm at a halt here..really not sure what to do next.

Thumper88 said:
ok, well...to further things a little...

I distributed everything out and added like terms, leading to:

[tex] 3u'x^2e^x + 2u'xe^x - 2u'e^x + u''x^2e^x + u''xe^x = 0 [/tex]

You might want to check your algebra again; I get:

[tex] u'x^2e^x + 2u'xe^x + 2u'e^x + u''x^2e^x + u''xe^x = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow e^x[u''(x^2+x) +u'(x^2+2x+2)] = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow u''(x^2+x) +u'(x^2+2x+2)=0[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow w'(x^2+x) + w(x^2+2x+2)=0[/tex]

which, when you write [tex]w'=\frac{dw}{dx}[/tex], looks like a separable DE for w to me...you know how to deal with those don't you? :wink:

I redid the algebra by hand and got exactly what you got.

Separating the variables

[tex] -\frac {1}{w} dw = \frac {(x^2+2x+2)}{(x^2+x)}dx[/tex]

integrating both sides and solving for w I get:

[tex] w = \frac {((x+1) * e^-x)}{x^2} dx [/tex]

So now u = integral of w dx

I assume you mean: [tex]w=\frac{(x+1)e^{-x}}{x^2}[/tex]?...if so, then good...now solve for [itex]u(x)[/itex] using your definition of w(x): [itex]w(x)=u'(x)[/itex]...then finally solve for [itex]y_2(x)=u(x)e^x[/itex]...what do you get?

yea...i was editing the equation...still getting used to the code

[tex] u(x) = -4 e^{-x} [/tex]

so [tex] y_2(x) = -4 e^{-x} * e^x = -4 [/tex]

correct?

so would the general solution just be:

[tex] y(x) = C_1 e^x + C_2 [/tex]
Where -4 is included in the constant [tex] C_2 [/tex].

Thumper88 said:
[tex] u(x) = -4 e^{-x} [/tex]

so [tex] y_2(x) = -4 e^{-x} * e^x = -4 [/tex]

correct?

nope, I get [tex] u(x) = \frac{e^{-x}}{x} [/tex]

give or take a constant multiplier.

...why don't you show me your work for integrate wdx?

[tex] u(x) = \int w dx [/tex]

[tex] u(x) = \int \frac {(x+1) e^-x}{x^2} dx = \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx + \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x^2} dx[/tex]

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx [/tex]

[tex] u = \frac {1}{x} [/tex] [tex] du = -\frac {1}{x^2}dx [/tex]

[tex] dv = e^{-x} dx [/tex] [tex] v = -e^{-x} [/tex]

[tex] \int u v' = \frac {1}{x}(-e^{-x}) - \int -e^{-x} * - \frac {1}{x^2} dx = -2e^{-x}[/tex]

Used same method for [tex] \int \frac e^{-x}}{x^2}dx [/tex] with different u du values, and got same answer, adding together got the [tex] -4e^{-x} [/tex]

arg...made some typos on my calculator...not getting those answers anymore.

Thumper88 said:
[tex] u(x) = \int w dx [/tex]

[tex] u(x) = \int \frac {(x+1) e^-x}{x^2} dx = \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx + \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x^2} dx[/tex]

[tex] \int u dv = uv - \int v du [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx [/tex]

[tex] u = \frac {1}{x} [/tex] [tex] du = -\frac {1}{x^2}dx [/tex]

[tex] dv = e^{-x} dx [/tex] [tex] v = -e^{-x} [/tex]

[tex] \int u v' = \frac {1}{x}(-e^{-x}) - \int -e^{-x} * - \frac {1}{x^2} dx = -2e^{-x}[/tex]

Do you mean:

[tex]\int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx=\int uv'=\frac{-e^{-x}}{x}- \int \frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}dx[/tex]

...if so, there is no need to evaluate the integral on the right, since you are adding this to your other term:

[tex]\Rightarrow u(x) = \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x} dx + \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x^2} dx=\left(\frac{-e^{-x}}{x}- \int \frac{e^{-x}}{x^2}dx \right)+ \int \frac {e^{-x}}{x^2} dx=\frac{-e^{-x}}{x}[/tex]

...I'm having a hard time seeing where your 4e^-x came from, but this is the way you should have done it.

the -4e^-x came from using a minus sign instead of the negative key...

Thumper88 said:
the -4e^-x came from using a minus sign instead of the negative key...

oh, lol...that's why I don't like using calculators :wink:

been a while since I've done any integration by parts...

ok...so with
[tex] u(x) = - \frac {e^{-x}}{x} [/tex]

[tex] y_2(x) = - \frac {e^{-x}}{x} * e^x = -\frac {1}{x} [/tex]

Sooo...

[tex] y(x) = C_1 e^x + C_2 (-x^{-1}) [/tex]

that is correct, right? just checking, thanks for all the help!

Looks good to me :smile:

...although your prof might prefer that you make sure y1 and y2 are linearly independent by checking the Wronskian.

I can do that...lol. Thanks a lot.

1. What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a family of solutions that satisfies the given equation and contains all the possible solutions. It includes a constant value that can take on different values for different specific solutions.

2. How is the general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x expressed?

The general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x is expressed as y = Ce^x where C is the constant of integration.

3. What is the role of the constant of integration in the general solution of a differential equation?

The constant of integration in the general solution of a differential equation is a placeholder for all the possible specific solutions. It allows the general solution to take on different values and cover all the possible solutions.

4. Can the general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x have multiple constants of integration?

No, the general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x can only have one constant of integration. This is because the given solution already includes one constant, e^x, and adding another constant would result in an incorrect solution.

5. How can the general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x be verified?

The general solution of a differential equation with given solution y=e^x can be verified by taking the derivative of the general solution and confirming that it satisfies the given differential equation.