Adv. linear algebra, tensor product, dual space

In summary: V and W is finite-dimensional.In summary, we can prove the isomorphism between V* \otimes W and Hom(V,W) by defining a map \phi and showing that it is one-to-one and onto. This can be done even in the case of partially infinite dimensional spaces.
jacobrhcp

Homework Statement

Prove that V* [tex]\otimes[/tex] W is isomorphic to Hom(V,W) in the case that one of V and W is finite-dimensional.

The Attempt at a Solution

A pair (l,w) in V*xW defines a map V->W, v->l(v)w. This map is bilinear.

Because it's bilinear, it defines a bilinear map V* [tex]\otimes[/tex] W -> Hom(V,W)

Now if both were finite-dimensional, we could just pick a basis for both V and W, so (v,w) is the same as

([tex]\sum v^i e_i, \sum w^j f_j [/tex], and have the map V*[tex]\otimes[/tex]W->Hom(V,W) send [tex]x^i \otimes f_j[/tex] to [tex](u_i)^j:V->W[/tex] that takes e_i to f_j and every other basis vector e_i' to 0. now {u} makes up a basis for Hom(V,W) and because the map was linear I am done.

but in the partially infinite dimensional case I cannot pick a basis.

Suppose for instance W is finite. My best guess is to write an element of V*[tex]\otimes[/tex]W explicitly, find a better explicit mapping and find an explicit inverse. Then I am done. But how to do this?

My guess: 'physics slang bracket notation' suggest a mapping like |w><v| -> l(v)w... but I got nothing explicit. Anyone want to help me a bit?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion regarding the partially infinite dimensional case. However, I believe that with a little bit of clarification, you can still prove the isomorphism between V* \otimes W and Hom(V,W).

Firstly, let's define the elements of V* \otimes W in terms of the basis vectors. We can write an element (l,w) as a linear combination of basis vectors as (l,w) = \sum_i l_i \otimes w_i. Similarly, an element of Hom(V,W) can be written as a linear combination of basis elements as \sum_{i,j} a_{ij}u_i \otimes f_j, where a_{ij} are scalars and {u_i} and {f_j} are basis elements for V and W respectively.

Now, let's define the map \phi: V* \otimes W \to Hom(V,W) as follows:

\phi(\sum_i l_i \otimes w_i) = \sum_{i,j} l_i(u_j)f_i \otimes w_i.

This map is well-defined and linear. To show that it is an isomorphism, we need to show that it is one-to-one and onto.

One-to-one: Suppose \phi(\sum_i l_i \otimes w_i) = \sum_{i,j} l_i(u_j)f_i \otimes w_i = 0. This implies that for every j, \sum_i l_i(u_j)f_i = 0. Since {u_i} is a basis for V, this means that l_i = 0 for all i. Hence, \sum_i l_i \otimes w_i = 0, showing that \phi is one-to-one.

Onto: Let \sum_{i,j} a_{ij}u_i \otimes f_j be an element of Hom(V,W). We can write this as \sum_i (\sum_j a_{ij}f_j) \otimes u_i. Therefore, \phi(\sum_i (\sum_j a_{ij}f_j) \otimes u_i) = \sum_{i,j} a_{ij}u_i \otimes f_j, showing that \phi is onto.

Hence, \phi is an isomorphism, proving that V* \otimes W is isomorphic to Hom(V,W) in

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and advanced linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. Advanced linear algebra builds upon these concepts and delves deeper into topics such as eigenvalues, diagonalization, and inner product spaces.

2. What is a tensor product in linear algebra?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors or matrices to create a new object, called a tensor. It is used to represent multilinear functions and is an important concept in advanced linear algebra.

3. How is the dual space related to linear algebra?

The dual space is a mathematical concept that is closely related to linear algebra. It is the set of all linear functionals on a vector space, which can be thought of as the "dual" of the original vector space. It is used to define the concept of orthogonality and duality in advanced linear algebra.

4. What are some real-world applications of advanced linear algebra?

Advanced linear algebra has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Some specific applications include image and signal processing, quantum mechanics, machine learning, and control theory.

5. Why is advanced linear algebra important for scientific research?

Advanced linear algebra is an essential tool for scientific research as it provides a powerful framework for solving complex mathematical problems and analyzing data. It also has many practical applications in a variety of fields, making it a valuable tool for scientists and researchers.