Finding tangent lines to an ellipse that pass through a given point

In summary, the equations of all the tangent lines to x^2 + 4y^2 = 36 that pass through the point (12,3) are dy/dx=-2x/8y, dy/dx= -2x/8y, dy/dx=-2x/8y, and dy/dx= -2x/8y.
SolidSnake

Homework Statement

Find the equations of all the tangent lines to x^2 + 4y^2 = 36 that pass through the point (12,3)

Homework Equations

the derivative of the ellipse is dy/dx = -2x/8y
(I'm not sure if that is correct, i have only recently learned implicit differentiation.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a point on the ellipse as ( x , +- ((6 - x) /2)) and the point which was given, i used the slope formula for a line and then set that equal to the derivative. However, now I'm left with 2 variables, x and y. I am 100% positive that we aren't suppose to use a CAS to solve this question. Could someone please help me out:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for y at a point on the ellipse is wrong. The square root of (36 - x^2)/4 is not equal to (6 - x)/2.

I drew a quick sketch of the ellipse and found that its vertices are at (0, +/-3) and at (+/-6, 0). One of the tangent lines is horizontal.

then a point on the ellipse would be (x , root of (36 - x^2)/4 ) correct?. but even then wouldn't that leave me with the same problem when i set m = m

Any point on the ellipse is (x, +/-sqrt((36 - x^2)/4).

The equation of the line is
[tex] -\frac{\sqrt{36 - x^2}}{2} - 3 = \frac{x}{2\sqrt{36 - x^2}}(x - 12)[/tex]
For the first expression on the left side, I chose the negative root, since I want a negative y value at the point of tangency in the fourth quadrant.
Multiply both sides by the expression in the denominator on the right side.
[tex]-(36 - x^2) - 6\sqrt{36 - x^2} = x^2 - 12x[/tex]
Now move everything but the radical to the other side.
[tex] - 6\sqrt{36 - x^2} = - 12x + 36[/tex]
Simplify a bit.
[tex] \sqrt{36 - x^2} = 2x - 6[/tex]
Square both sides.
[tex]36 - x^2 = 4x^2 - 24x + 36[/tex]
[tex]5x^2 - 24x = 0[/tex]
The last expression on the left side can be factored to give the x-values that are on the line, and that have the right slope. As it turned out, I didn't need to be concerned about using a negative expression for the y-value in the 4th quadrant, because I squared both sides later on. You do need to take into account that the y-value is negative at one point of tangency, though.

1. How do I find the equation of a tangent line to an ellipse that passes through a given point?

To find the equation of a tangent line to an ellipse that passes through a given point, you can use the point-slope form of a line. First, find the slope of the tangent line at the given point by taking the derivative of the ellipse equation. Then, substitute the given point's coordinates into the point-slope form to get the equation of the tangent line.

2. Can I use the standard form of an ellipse to find the tangent line?

Yes, you can use the standard form of an ellipse (x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1) to find the tangent line. However, it may be easier to use the general form of an ellipse (Ax^2 + By^2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0) and take the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line.

3. How many tangent lines can a given point have on an ellipse?

A given point can have two tangent lines on an ellipse. This is because an ellipse is a symmetrical shape and the tangent line at a point is perpendicular to the radius of the ellipse passing through that point. Since an ellipse has two foci, there will be two tangent lines passing through a given point.

4. Can I find the tangent line to an ellipse at any point?

Yes, you can find the tangent line to an ellipse at any point as long as you have the coordinates of that point. However, the process may become more complex for points that are not on the major or minor axis of the ellipse.

5. Can I use calculus to find the tangent line to an ellipse?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the tangent line to an ellipse. Taking the derivative of the ellipse equation will give you the slope of the tangent line at any point on the ellipse. From there, you can use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.