Does A Mangetic Field Have Frequency?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of magnetic fields and whether or not they have a frequency. The speaker notes that the Earth's magnetic properties are caused by Ferromagnetism, which is due to quantum mechanical spin rather than classical motion. The conversation also references a Wikipedia page for further reading and mentions that an oscillating magnetic field transforms into an electric field.
BlindlyThinkN
New Member - I have to say - This site is amazing- Great find, Been reading for hours now and I have come to a question I could not search'n find!

Does a magnetic field (non-electrically generated) have a frequency?

i.e. Earth Magnet

Any info on this topic would be oh so interesting to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand, the magnetic properties of an Earth Magnet are caused by Ferromagnetism.
This effect is due to quantum mechanical spin, not classical motion.
So, there's no classical frequency to a magnet.

Have you read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

there's a LOT there to digest! and note the "SEE ALSO" at the bottom of that reference.

A stationary magnetic produces a stationary magnetic field to a stationary observer analogous to a stationary mass producing a stationary gravitational field; oscillate either and the fields follow suite.
However an oscillating magnetic field tranforms to an electric field. And an oscillating observer will see an oscillating field.

1. What is a magnetic field frequency?

A magnetic field frequency refers to the rate at which a magnetic field oscillates or changes direction. This is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and is related to the strength and speed of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field frequency measured?

A magnetic field frequency can be measured using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope or a magnetometer. These devices can detect the strength and direction of the magnetic field and calculate the frequency based on these measurements.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a magnetic field?

The frequency of a magnetic field can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which it is oscillating, and the distance from the source of the magnetic field. Additionally, the material through which the magnetic field is passing can also impact its frequency.

4. Can a magnetic field have multiple frequencies?

Yes, a magnetic field can have multiple frequencies. This can occur when there are multiple sources of magnetic fields or when the strength and direction of the magnetic field are changing over time.

5. How does the frequency of a magnetic field impact its effects on objects?

The frequency of a magnetic field can determine its effects on objects. For example, a low frequency magnetic field may cause a material to heat up, while a high frequency magnetic field may cause the material to vibrate. Additionally, the frequency of a magnetic field can also affect how it interacts with other magnetic fields and can influence the behavior of charged particles in the field.