What is the Damping Constant for a Spring in Sea Water?

In summary, the speaker is working on a problem involving a free hanging mass attached to a spring and damper in parallel. They confirm that their system equation is correct and ask for assistance in finding the value of the damping coefficient, b, assuming the damping is caused by seawater. The other person suggests conducting a simple experiment to determine the damping coefficient and also mentions the difficulty in calculating the frequency shift due to the flow of sea water around the object. They also suggest looking up the damping coefficient for an object in pure water for comparison.
zaurus
Hi,

I am working on a problem with a free hanging mass attached to a spring and damper in parallel. I believe my system equation is as follows:

my'' = mg - by' - ky

My questions:

1) It has been a while since I've taken this course and just wanted to confirm I wrote my system equation correctly...for some reason I remember the spring and dampers in parallel add (opposite of those in circuits).

2) Where can I find or calculate a value for damping coefficient, b, assuming damping is caused by seawater ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is correct :D
It is basically a 1D motion, of a damped driven harmonic oscillator..

But if you want to do it in sea water, then it won't be correct, since you have to take into account the flow around the hanging mass , which is not so easy. For a sphere it is easy to calculate the frequency shift due to the flow, because of the symmetry, but for another assymetric object its not so easy...

You could easily determine the damping coefficient from a simple home-made experiment.
- Research what the salinity of sea water is.
- Mix table salt and water together to the same concentration.
- Given that you know the mass of the object, m.
- Take measurements of travel distance and time for the following tests:
- First, suspend the weight onto the spring in open air (not sea water) to determine the spring constant, k.
- Second, suspend the weight onto the spring in sea water to determine the damping coefficient, b.

For comparison, you might find from Google the damping coefficient for an object in pure water. I would imagine the damping b will be similar (but less) as that for sea water.

Last edited:

1. What is a damping constant for a spring?

A damping constant for a spring is a measure of the amount of resistance a spring experiences when it is compressed or stretched. It is a property of the spring that affects its behavior and can be used to determine the rate at which the spring will oscillate.

2. How is the damping constant calculated?

The damping constant is calculated by dividing the amount of damping force by the velocity of the spring. This can be represented by the equation c = F/v, where c is the damping constant, F is the damping force, and v is the velocity of the spring.

3. What factors affect the damping constant?

The damping constant can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the amount of damping fluid present, and any external forces acting on the spring.

4. What are the units of the damping constant?

The units of the damping constant depend on the units used for the damping force and velocity. Common units include Ns/m (Newton-seconds per meter) and kg/s (kilograms per second).

5. How does the damping constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The damping constant affects the behavior of a spring by determining the rate at which it will oscillate. A higher damping constant will result in a faster decrease in amplitude of the oscillations, while a lower damping constant will result in slower, more sustained oscillations.