Inferring quantity based on changing repitition rate

• Thread starter sir_manning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation was about a person's experience with a webcomic site and their curiosity about the number of individual comics on the site. They discussed using statistics and probability to estimate the number of comics, with suggestions of using the average number of clicks to get a repeated comic or performing maximum likelihood on a joint poison distribution.
sir_manning
Hey

I was bored the other day and I stumbled across a webcomic site. In my boredom, I kept on clicking "random" to choose a random comic. After a couple clicks on the random button, a comic that I had already read popped up.

Assuming it was truly random, I would have to run out of comics sometime. Also, as the amount that I read got smaller and smaller, clicking the random button would give me more and more comics that I had already read.

So now I'm wondering how I could go about getting an approximate number of how many individual comics exist on the site by applying some statistics to my initial few clicks (assuming that out of these clicks I will mostly get comics I haven't read but I will also get some repeats).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start by making the assumption that they are uniformly distributed. For each comic you get their should be an average amount of clicks be for you get that comic again.

The average number of clicks would be given by:

[tex]\sum_1^\infty n p^n[/tex]

where p is the probability of getting a given comic each click.

Thus if you look for the average number of clicks to get a given comic to repeat, you can estimate p. Once you have P then N would be equal to 1/p.

As a note to the above, the most accurate method would be to do maximum likelihood on a joint poison distribution. Your random variable would be the number of occurrences of each comic after a given number of clicks. If their is a lot of comics I suspect that this would be difficult computationally.

Here is a simple method. Count the average number of times each comic shows up after N clicks subtract one and take the average. Divide this by N.

Clearly for large N this should give the probability of getting a given comic each click. The inverse of this should be related to the number of comics. However, I'm not sure how large N needs to be for this to give a good estimate.

What is inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate?

Inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate is a scientific method used to determine the quantity of a substance or particle by measuring the change in repetition rate of a specific event or reaction.

What is the importance of inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate?

This method is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure and quantify substances or particles that may not be visible or easily measured through traditional methods.

How does inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate work?

This method works by measuring the change in repetition rate of a specific event or reaction, which is then used to calculate the quantity of the substance or particle being studied.

What are some real-life applications of inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate?

Inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to measure the concentration of chemicals, the number of particles in a sample, and the rate of reactions, among others.

What are the limitations of inferring quantity based on changing repetition rate?

While this method can be useful, it may not be accurate in all situations. Factors such as environmental conditions and external influences can affect the repetition rate and therefore, the accuracy of the inferred quantity.