Finding the probability that at least one battery is alive after 4 years

In summary, to ensure that at least one battery is alive after four years, you would need to use 16 batteries.
soopo

Homework Statement

The expected lifetime of a battery is 0.5 and the standard deviation is 0.5. At
the end of battery's lifetime, the battery will be changed so that different
batteries are independent of each other.

How many batteries do you need such that at least one of them is alive after
4 years with the probability 0.95?

Use normal approximation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would start by calculating the number of batteries needed such that at least one of them is alive at the end of one year.

I would use normal distribution, since we have the standard deviation given.

Let
X be the number of batteries such that at least one of the batteries is alive at the end of one year

X ~ N(upperbound, expected value of batteries that break in one year, standard deviation of batteries)

I think that the above values are the following in the simplified situation.

X ~N(1, 0.5n, 0.5n)

The standard deviation is got by
st(X) = 0.5 for one battery
st(X) = 0.5n for n number of batteries

I also think that the expected value of batteries that break is 0.5n.

For example, I get the probability, 0.841 (= normalcdf(-E99, 1, 0.5, 0.5)), that
one battery is alive at the end of one year.
This result may be wrong, since the expected value is 0.5 that one battery is
alive at the end of one year.

This suggests me that the use of normal distribution may be a wrong choice at least at the beginning of the problem.

Perhaps, we need to use binomial distribution first for one battery, and then
apply normal approximation to get the number of batteries for 4 years.

Please, let me know how you would solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
eek, a little bit too much here. my statistics is rusty. are these batteries being used in Sequence or in Parallel? it looks to be implied that they're in sequence, if they were parallel its highly unlikely any of them will reach anything beyond two years (three standard deviations from the mean?)
let me try to see this...
in sequence, one battery's lifetime is 'normally'... x_i?, so the sum(x_i) is total lifetime which we want to be...at least 4?, so we want to know...n? when i=1...n? or n+1, maybe?

1/16?

Let P(x) be the probability that a single battery is alive after x years. Then the probabilty a single battery is NOT alive after x years is 1- P(x) and the probability that none of n identical batteries are alive after x years is (1- P(x))n. Finally, the probability that at least one battery is alive after x years is 1-(1-P(x))n. You want to find n such that 1- (1-P(4))n> 0.95 which is the same as n such that (1-P(4))^n< 0.05. P(4), of course, you get from a table of the normal distribution. If the mean is 0.5 years (you didn't say in your original post) and the standard deviation is 0.5 years, then you are looking at 7 standard deviations above the mean, so p(4) will be very small.

Xaos, my interpretation of this problem is that the batteries are not being used "in paralleL" or "in series" but independently (which may be what you mean by "in parallel").

HallsofIvy said:
If the mean is 0.5 years (you didn't say in
your original post) and the standard deviation is 0.5 years, then you are
looking at 7 standard deviations above the mean, so p(4) will be very
small.

I assume that the question means with the expected value the mean.

We need to calculate the amount of batteries such that at least one is alive after 4 years.

The question seems to ask that
put one battery to the system,
take it away after it has no energy,
put immediately a new battery to the system...
and calculate this way the amount of batteries needed.

This suggests me that the batteries are not at the same time in the machine.

Last edited:
soopo said:
This suggests me that the batteries are not at the same time in the machine.

You are right because "[a]t the end of battery's lifetime, the battery will be changed".

We know:
X ~ N(1/2, 1/2) per year, where the mean = 1/2 and the variance = 1/2.

Let's calculate new mean and new variance per 4 years:

mean = 1/2^4
variance = p*(1-p)*n = (1/2^4)(1-1/2^4)(4) = 15/64

So X ~ N(1/16, 15/64) per 4 years

The variance may be wrong. How can you calculate variance from the one-year system to the four-year system?

So what do we know?
1. mean 1/16
2. variance, 15/64 ?
3. probability, 95%

Needed:
4. the number of batteries (satisfying the above conditions)

Last edited:

1. What is the probability that at least one battery will still be alive after 4 years?

The probability of at least one battery being alive after 4 years depends on the initial quality and usage of the batteries. Generally, the probability will decrease as time passes, but it can be calculated using the survival function and the number of batteries in the sample.

2. How do I calculate the survival function for batteries?

The survival function is calculated by taking the number of batteries that are still alive at a certain time point and dividing it by the total number of batteries in the sample. This can be done for each time point, and the values can be plotted on a survival curve to visualize the probability of battery survival over time.

3. Can I use historical data to estimate the probability of battery survival?

Yes, historical data can be used to estimate the probability of battery survival. However, it is important to consider any changes in technology or usage patterns that may affect the results. It is also important to have a large enough sample size to ensure accurate estimates.

4. How does the quality of the batteries affect the probability of survival?

The initial quality of the batteries can greatly impact the probability of survival. Batteries with higher quality materials and better manufacturing processes are more likely to survive for longer periods of time. It is important to consider the quality of the batteries when estimating the probability of survival.

5. Is there a way to increase the probability of battery survival?

There are a few ways to potentially increase the probability of battery survival. These include using high-quality batteries, properly storing and maintaining the batteries, and using them according to the manufacturer's instructions. Additionally, regularly checking and replacing old batteries can help ensure a higher probability of survival.