Effect of a pair of slip rings in a DC motor

In summary, a slip ring in a DC motor reverses the direction of the current whenever the commutator changes contact, to ensure the motor always rotates in the same direction. However, if a second slip ring is installed, the effect is not clear.
Starbright

Hi, I have a question here.

Knowingly that the effect of a slip ring in a DC motor is to reverse the direction of the current in a loop whenever the commutator changes contact from 1 brush to another, so as to ensure the loop to be always rotating in 1 direction.

However, what will be the effect if the slip ring is substituted by a pair of slip rings then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Starbright said:

Hi, I have a question here.

Knowingly that the effect of a slip ring in a DC motor is to reverse the direction of the current in a loop whenever the commutator changes contact from 1 brush to another, so as to ensure the loop to be always rotating in 1 direction.

However, what will be the effect if the slip ring is substituted by a pair of slip rings then?

Welcome to the PF. What are your thoughts on this question? Hint -- if you have one slip ring, what happens if the motor comes to rest with the brush directly over the gap?

For a single slip-ring DC motor, the momentum of the loop will carry it past the vertical position. This reverses the current and the loop, due to the force generated, will continue to rotate in the same direction.

But I am not sure what happens if there is an additional slip ring installed.
Appreciate if you can explain to me what will happen then.
Thanks.

Starbright said:
For a single slip-ring DC motor, the momentum of the loop will carry it past the vertical position. This reverses the current and the loop, due to the force generated, will continue to rotate in the same direction.

But I am not sure what happens if there is an additional slip ring installed.
Appreciate if you can explain to me what will happen then.
Thanks.

What do you think about my hint?

I still don't understand the concept and appreciate if you can explain to me in details, if there are 2 slip rings instead of one, in a DC motor.

Starbright said:
I still don't understand the concept and appreciate if you can explain to me in details, if there are 2 slip rings instead of one, in a DC motor.

I can't give you the answer to your homework question. Try reading through this article -- it should help you figure out the question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_DC_electric_motor

I think a slip ring provides simply a continuous circular contact. They aren't used in a DC motor. I think the question asks for the effect if you were to use them in a DC motor (instead of a commutator).

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I think a slip ring provides simply a continuous circular contact. They aren't used in a DC motor. I think the question asks for the effect if you were to use them in a DC motor (instead of a commutator).

AM

Ah, interesting. I see now that "slip ring" and "commutator" do not go together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_ring

Thanks for that. Still, the OP kind of mixes the terms, so now I'm not sure what the question really means...

What is a slip ring in a DC motor?

A slip ring is an electrical component used in DC motors to transfer power and signals from a stationary source to a rotating component. It consists of a conductive ring and brushes that make contact with the ring, allowing for continuous electrical connection even as the motor rotates.

How does a pair of slip rings affect the performance of a DC motor?

A pair of slip rings allows for the flow of electrical current from a stationary source to a rotating component in the motor. This enables the motor to function without the need for physically connected wires, allowing for a wider range of motion and more flexibility in design and operation.

Why are slip rings necessary in a DC motor?

Slip rings are necessary in a DC motor to provide a continuous electrical connection between the stationary part of the motor (stator) and the rotating part (rotor). Without slip rings, the motor would not be able to receive power and signals while in motion, limiting its functionality.

What are the advantages of using a pair of slip rings in a DC motor?

Using a pair of slip rings in a DC motor allows for a more compact and efficient design, as the need for physically connected wires is eliminated. It also allows for a wider range of motion and enables the motor to operate at higher speeds.

Can slip rings affect the efficiency of a DC motor?

Yes, slip rings can affect the efficiency of a DC motor if they are not properly maintained or if there is excessive friction between the brushes and the ring. This can lead to power loss and decreased performance. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can help maintain the efficiency of slip rings in a DC motor.