Optima Battery Charging: Solar vs Trickle

In summary, the small solar panel does not provide a sufficient charge to keep the battery alive. The battery will need to be disconnected and recharged with a trickle charger.
Good4you
I have a red top optima battery like this in my truck:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php"
I don't drive this truck very often so it looses power after a while. I'd prefer not to disconnect my battery and loose the memory in various electronics. so i bought a small solar charger like this:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...x-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1"

It does not provide a sufficient charge to keep the battery alive.
Is there a way i can measure/calculate (hopefully just with a multimeter) how much charge i need to keep my battery fully charged? I was thinking using some kind of calculation based on the voltage drop over a 24 hour period?

If i only need two or three of these chargers then i might stick with the solar charger idea. If not, then i would have to resort to a trickle charger that plugs into the house. This would not be preferable since i don't park near the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll have to disconnect the battery to measure the current that the accessories are requiring (use dc amp scale on your multimeter). Your charger appears to provide about 100mA (not much) at 12volts, on a good sunny day I imagine.

So if your accessories are using more that 100mA, you'll need more solar cells.

That charger looks very small. If it did deliver 100 mA as Digoff estimates (and a fair guess) it might only average 20 mA over 24 hours allowing for no charging at night and not much in the morning or evening.

Even so, a continuous current draw of 20 mA seems high for a truck. Maybe the truck battery is getting a bit lossy.

The solar panel can draw current itself at night if it doesn't come with a series diode. This can be checked by applying an external 12 volts and measuring the current (if any) into the solar panel while it is in total darkness. If there is any current, a diode should be fitted.

If you found you did need more charging current, maybe you could get a single much bigger solar panel and mount it on a post near where you park the truck. This would be better than a lot of small chargers which would be difficult to connect effectively.
Or you could run a wire from the house to a charging point near the truck and charge from a power source in the house. It could be quite small wire as the voltage and current are low.

You might be able to connect to the truck electrics via the trailer power outlet at the rear of the truck, depending whether this was switched.
Just don't drive away with the wires connected.

With the key off, you could connect a ammeter before disconnecting the battery terminal. This way, the memory stays intact.

1. What is the difference between solar and trickle charging for Optima batteries?

Solar charging uses solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity to charge the battery, while trickle charging uses a low voltage current to slowly charge the battery over time.

2. Which charging method is more efficient for Optima batteries?

Solar charging is generally more efficient as it uses renewable energy from the sun to charge the battery, while trickle charging relies on a constant power source which may not always be reliable.

3. Is it safe to leave an Optima battery connected to a solar charger for extended periods of time?

Yes, it is safe to leave an Optima battery connected to a solar charger for extended periods of time. Optima batteries are designed to handle continuous charging and will not overcharge or damage the battery.

4. Can I use both solar and trickle charging together for my Optima battery?

Yes, you can use both solar and trickle charging together for your Optima battery. This can provide a faster and more consistent charging process, especially if you have limited access to sunlight.

5. How long does it take to fully charge an Optima battery using solar or trickle charging?

The time it takes to fully charge an Optima battery using either solar or trickle charging will depend on the size and condition of the battery, as well as the strength of the charging source. Generally, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge an Optima battery using solar charging, and 8-12 hours for trickle charging.