Math Majors & Science: Jobs, Master & PhD Programs

• Programs
  • Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: But I wouldn't recommend it since it will just waste time and you won't be able to use the knowledge you gain in undergrad courses in your graduate program.
lubuntu
I found I can finish up a math major with a minor in CS in a reasonable time, I am wonder which sorts of jobs will be available to me in that capacity? Ideally I am looking to work in the Scientific Computing field and am gearing all my electives towards that. I know there are a few Master programs in this regard that I will look at?

Also with my background, and all my science elective will be in physics, do I have a chance at taking into a Ph.D. physics program at some point if that is what I would like to do? Since most of the stuff covered is from the first few physics classes, I should be able to do well enough on the GRE?

Physics news on Phys.org
To lubuntu I'd say as long as you have taken the following physics courses you'll be fine for applying to a physics grad school:

-1st year physics
-2nd year electricity and magnetism
-Thermodynamics
-Statistical Mechanics
-2-3 quantum courses
-2nd/3rd year classical mechanics
-Courses in linear algebra, vector calculus, differential equations and either mathematical physics or complex analysis

That, I'd say, is the minimum for phys grad school

To Dr.LGM I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a university that would let you create such a degree. Most universities will not let you do two bachelours at the same uni. And, even if you did find a uni you'd be spending 6-8 years just in undergrad and at the end of the day, once you start your first job, your undergrad creds basically will be erased (employers will only care about your employement creds) which will mean you essentially wasted 4 years, Regardless, I can't think of why one would want such a degree. People who design computer control systems and software a NASA have computer engineering degrees, those who design the spacecraft have aerospace, I wouldn't think many people (if any) have both since they really don't overlap at all.

Well "rocket scientists" are aerospace engineers. So I'd recommend majoring in aerospace engineering. After second year or so you'll then have a better idea of what's entailed and what specifically you want to specialize in and you might add a minor but for entrance I'd just say do standard aerospace engineering.

Hey hey hey wahts up with the thread hijacking DR.LGM your question has nothng to do with mine!Thanks for the info maverick, I may not have time to take all those classes, if I show sufficent potential and I could always take them letter and I know its not unheard of grad students doing undergrad classes to wrap up some basic knowledge area?

lubuntu said:
Hey hey hey wahts up with the thread hijacking DR.LGM your question has nothng to do with mine!

Thanks for the info maverick, I may not have time to take all those classes, if I show sufficent potential and I could always take them letter and I know its not unheard of grad students doing undergrad classes to wrap up some basic knowledge area?

Know certainly not. I remember in my quantum 4 class in undergrad there was a CS major grad student who's supervisor told them to take the class. The point being that, yes, there is always room to catch up once in grad.

1. What are the job prospects for math majors and science graduates?

Math majors and science graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, such as finance, technology, healthcare, and research. They can work as data analysts, actuaries, software developers, lab technicians, or research scientists, among others. The demand for individuals with strong quantitative and analytical skills is constantly increasing, making math majors and science graduates highly sought after in the job market.

2. What are the differences between a master's and a PhD program in math or science?

A master's program in math or science typically takes 2 years to complete and focuses on advanced coursework and research in a specific area of study. A PhD program, on the other hand, usually takes 4-6 years and involves in-depth research and the completion of a dissertation. A PhD is generally required for those seeking a career in academia or research, while a master's degree can lead to a variety of career paths in both industry and academia.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are necessary for pursuing a career in math or science?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and science, individuals pursuing a career in these fields need to possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They should also have a strong attention to detail, as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively. Depending on the specific job or program, additional skills or qualifications such as programming knowledge or laboratory experience may be necessary.

4. What are some common misconceptions about math and science majors?

One common misconception is that individuals who major in math or science are only suited for careers in academia or research. In reality, they have a diverse skill set that can be applied to a variety of industries and job roles. Another misconception is that these fields are only for those who are naturally gifted in math and science. While a strong aptitude for these subjects is certainly helpful, hard work and dedication can also lead to success in these fields.

5. Is it possible to switch from a math or science major to a different field or industry?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a math or science major to a different field or industry. The critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills developed through these majors are highly transferable and can be valuable in a variety of fields. Furthermore, many employers value the strong work ethic and dedication often exhibited by math and science majors, making them attractive candidates for a range of job opportunities.