How to Create 20 000 Gauss Inside a Copper Dodecahedron with Magnets?

• Thread starter Gauss20000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauss
In summary, the magnetic field around a magnet increases as the distance away from the magnet decreases. This can be seen through the increase in magnetic flux when the air gap increases. For a project involving a large copper dodecahedron structure, 12 magnets can be attached at various points to create a magnetic field of approximately 20,000 gauss. The size of the magnets needed for this depends on their surface gauss, with neodymium magnets having a surface gauss of 13000 and ferrite magnets having 4000gauss. It is important to note that the magnetic field is directional and must be created between a north and south pole with a return path. For optimal results, the air gap between the magnets should be kept as
Gauss20000
Does the magnetic field around a magnet increase when the distance away from the magnet increases? While using a calculator for magnetic flux I noticed that the magnetic flux increases when the air gap increases. So does this mean the magnetic field of a magnet will increase the further you are away from it?

For my project I have made a large copper dodecahedron structure that I wish to attach 12 magnets in at various points to create approx. 20 000 gauss inside of it. Is this possible? What size magnets will I need to do this?

Neodymium magnets have surface gauss of 13000 and ferrite magnets have 4000gauss. which should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss20000 said:
Does the magnetic field around a magnet increase when the distance away from the magnet increases? While using a calculator for magnetic flux I noticed that the magnetic flux increases when the air gap increases. So does this mean the magnetic field of a magnet will increase the further you are away from it?

For my project I have made a large copper dodecahedron structure that I wish to attach 12 magnets in at various points to create approx. 20 000 gauss inside of it. Is this possible? What size magnets will I need to do this?

Neodymium magnets have surface gauss of 13000 and ferrite magnets have 4000gauss. which should I use?

You will get the largest magnetic field (all other things equal) when the air gap is the smallest. That's why it's hardest to separate magnets when they are stuck together, and it gets eaiser and easier the fatrher apart you pull them.

As for creating a magnetic field inside of an object, remember that magnetic field is directional (a vector field). Your field inside the object has to be between two things, fromm one N pole to the other S pole, with the return of the field inside the magnet from S to N.

There was a magnet at UC Berkeley that had a 24,000 Gauss central field, The magnet gap was about 20 inches, and the pole tip diameter was about 184" (E. O. Lawrence's cyclotron). I'm told that the field was about 16,000 Gauss iron, and 8,000 Gauss Helmholz coil. It weighed about 4,000 tons.
Bob S
[Added] See this GMW electromagnet, and especially the plot of maximum field strength on the specification page.
http://www.gmw.com/electromagnets/dipole/3474/3474.html
The magnet will go to 30,000 gauss, but only with a pole tip gap under 20 mm.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
You will get the largest magnetic field (all other things equal) when the air gap is the smallest. That's why it's hardest to separate magnets when they are stuck together, and it gets eaiser and easier the fatrher apart you pull them.

As for creating a magnetic field inside of an object, remember that magnetic field is directional (a vector field). Your field inside the object has to be between two things, fromm one N pole to the other S pole, with the return of the field inside the magnet from S to N.

Thanks Berkeman. I had fogotten to consider this directional point.

1. How do I create 20 000 Gauss?

To create 20 000 Gauss, you will need a strong and powerful magnet. This can be achieved by either increasing the size of the magnet or using materials with high magnetic properties, such as neodymium or samarium cobalt.

2. What is the unit of measurement for Gauss?

Gauss is a unit of measurement for magnetic flux density. It is equivalent to one maxwell per square centimeter or one tesla (T).

3. Can I create 20 000 Gauss with a regular magnet?

No, a regular magnet does not have enough magnetic strength to generate 20 000 Gauss. You will need a specialized magnet with high magnetic properties to achieve this level of Gauss.

4. Is it safe to handle 20 000 Gauss?

It is generally safe to handle 20 000 Gauss as long as you do not have any electronic devices or credit cards nearby. This level of Gauss may interfere with electronic devices and erase magnetic strips on cards.

5. What are some practical uses for 20 000 Gauss?

20 000 Gauss can be used for a variety of applications, such as magnetic levitation, magnetic separation, and medical devices. It can also be used in research and industrial settings for various experiments and processes.