Lorentz force (EM), what happens if

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replacing the velocity term in the formula for the Lorentz force with the Lorentz factor, and the potential issues with this modification. It is mentioned that the Lorentz force equation is exact and is often used to define electric and magnetic fields. The speaker was not aware of this and thanks the other person for the information.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm wondering what happens (or if it makes sense) if in the formula [tex]\mathbf{F} = q (\mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B})[/tex] we replace [tex]v[/tex] by Lorentz factor, that is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex].
I realize that in the new formula I'm cross-producting a scalar with a vector, but I could assignate a direction to Lorentz factor.

For example, would this changed formula be more accurate than the non modified one? Or does it make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense.

Apart from the problem you identified, the dimensions no longer match. What problem are you trying to fix anyway? The Lorentz force equation is exact - often one uses it to define the electric and magnetic fields.

Vanadium 50 said:
It doesn't make sense.

Apart from the problem you identified, the dimensions no longer match. What problem are you trying to fix anyway? The Lorentz force equation is exact - often one uses it to define the electric and magnetic fields.

Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't trying to fix anything, it occurred to me by chance. I wasn't aware that the Lorentz force was exact, nice to know.

Thanks a lot for the information.

1. What is the Lorentz force (EM)?

The Lorentz force, also known as the electromagnetic force, is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field. It is a fundamental force in nature and plays a significant role in the behavior of charged particles in various physical phenomena.

2. How is the Lorentz force (EM) calculated?

The Lorentz force is calculated using the equation F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This equation takes into account the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields on the charged particle.

3. What happens if the charged particle is stationary?

If the charged particle is stationary, it will experience a force due to the electric field, but not the magnetic field. This is because the cross product of a zero velocity with any other vector is zero. Therefore, the Lorentz force on a stationary charged particle is simply F = qE.

4. What happens if the charged particle is moving parallel to the electric and magnetic fields?

If the charged particle is moving parallel to both the electric and magnetic fields, it will experience a force due to the electric field, but not the magnetic field. This is because the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero. Therefore, the Lorentz force on a charged particle moving parallel to the fields is simply F = qE.

5. How does the Lorentz force affect the motion of a charged particle?

The Lorentz force causes a change in the direction of motion of a charged particle, as well as a change in its velocity. The magnitude and direction of the Lorentz force depend on the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the charge and velocity of the particle. This force ultimately determines the path and behavior of charged particles in various physical systems.