Do Camcorders/ Video camera have Sensors in them?

In summary: That's an interesting looking object. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm going to have to research more about it. Thanks for the description!
Rhine720
Curious. I have a video camera and I've decided to take it apart. I posted a thread a while ago about building a robot, so It would be nice if somehow i could use something from this camera to give it "vision" or "Senses". So I want to know. Do these things have sensors in them? Is that how they work? What kind of sensors if they do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rhine720 said:
Curious. I have a video camera and I've decided to take it apart. I posted a thread a while ago about building a robot, so It would be nice if somehow i could use something from this camera to give it "vision" or "Senses". So I want to know. Do these things have sensors in them? Is that how they work? What kind of sensors if they do?

Any autofocus camera will have a way of knowing how far it is from the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus" [Broken] goes into some details about the methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me that any decent camera would also have some sort of optical sensing apparatus, such as maybe a CCD array...

Well if the camera still works, you could incorporate it into the robot to give you video feedback. Otherwise, I don't really think there's much you can do with it, other than possibly making a line, color, or light/dark sensor (but it might take some advanced soldering and circuit modification).

In addition to ranging for autofocus that DaveC brought up, analog cameras will, usually have sensing for overall light intensity to adjust shutter speed and flash. I don't know about digital cameras.

Danger said:
I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me that any decent camera would also have some sort of optical sensing apparatus, such as maybe a CCD array...

No sensors, there is a gnome in each camera, gnome with a canvas, palette and paintbrush.

For video you need two sets of imps, one painting each image and another blowing it dry.

Now, now people be nice..

I'll answer some of your question after that use Google and wikipedia.com
for more detail..

1) Don't even try to hack an old broken camera..
unless you have tech information on that camera your wasting your time.
2) All camera contain some type of "sensor" Cmos or mos.
the most common is a ccd a type of cmos sensor.
3) Here's where you should go to wikipedia and look up "CCD"..
How they work is much easier to understand with pictures.
4) Adding vision to a robot is a very complex process...
I would recommend that you visit a site like "make"...They have projects
you maybe able to do to add simple vision to your home bot.

Well that's it from me... good luck...

mgb_phys said:
For video you need two sets of imps, one painting each image and another blowing it dry.

@*#! unions...

Yes Video camera and camcorders do have sensors. without ssensors hardly there are anymore gadgets produced.

Alright so after taking it apart some more. I can across a very interesting piece. Makes me think of a turbine(I know that it is not). At one end it has a white cap with 4 holes with metal rods that then pass through a short(very short) glass tube and then through some gears and into another things with all these green and copper tightly packed teeny tiny wires. and then that's connected to the part that you put your eye at..Could this be it? If not, what is it? I'll upload a picture

Photo043.jpg

Rhine720 said:
all these green and copper tightly packed teeny tiny wires...
Hm. If you don't know what a circuit board is, is there any possibility this is over your head?

Of course it is..which is why I'm buying a kit to learn off of. But I figured I'd pick up some knowledge here too =]

1. Do camcorders/video cameras have sensors in them?

Yes, most modern camcorders and video cameras have sensors in them. The sensor is the component that captures light and converts it into an electrical signal, which is then processed and stored as a digital video file.

2. What type of sensors do camcorders/video cameras use?

There are two main types of sensors used in camcorders and video cameras: CCD (charge-coupled device) and CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor). Both types are designed to capture light and produce high-quality video images, but they differ in terms of technology and performance.

3. How important is the sensor in determining video quality?

The sensor is a critical component in determining the overall video quality of a camcorder or video camera. A larger sensor size typically results in better image quality, as it can capture more light and produce less noise in low-light conditions. However, other factors such as lens quality and image processing also play a role in video quality.

4. Can the sensor in a camcorder/video camera be replaced or upgraded?

In most cases, the sensor in a camcorder or video camera cannot be replaced or upgraded. It is an integral part of the device and is not designed to be easily removed or changed. However, some high-end professional cameras may have interchangeable sensors, allowing for upgrades or replacements.

5. How does the sensor size affect the depth of field in videos?

The sensor size does play a role in the depth of field in videos. A larger sensor size can produce a shallower depth of field, allowing for more control over the focus and creating a more cinematic look. However, other factors such as aperture and focal length also influence depth of field.