Finding \Psi(x,t) From Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave function \Psi(x,t) for a given initial wave function \psi(x,0) and using the propagator exp\left\{-\frac{i\hat{H}t}{\hbar}\right\} to do so. It also mentions finding the eigenstates of the system and normalizing the wave function. Lastly, it discusses finding the value of the normalization constant A.
puneet.988
hi
is there any way we can find [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t) for a given [tex]\psi[/tex](x,0) ?
i got stuck with schrodinger equation...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
puneet.988 said:
hi
is there any way we can find [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t) for a given [tex]\psi[/tex](x,0) ?
i got stuck with schrodinger equation...

One way is to apply the propagator [tex]exp\left\{-\frac{i\hat{H}t}{\hbar}\right\}[/tex] to the wavefunction. This works for a time-independent Hamiltonian.

Then [tex]\Psi\left(x,t\right)=e^{-\frac{i\hat{H}t}{\hbar}}\psi(x,0)[/tex]

There are more complicated versions that work for time-dependent Hamiltonians.

actually I've got this wave function [tex]\psi[/tex](x,0)=A sin 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]x cos [tex]\Pi[/tex]x

this wave function is for a one dimensional box of unit length...A is normalization constant

we need to find [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t) at a later time t...

how should i go for it?
i tried to normalize it but got stuck...

1/ Find the eigenstates of the system [itex](\psi_1(x), \psi_2(x),\ldots)[/tex]
2/ Write your wavefunction as a sum over these eigenstates ([itex]\Psi(x,0) = c_1\psi_1 + \ldots[/tex]. Note: it can very well be your wavefunction is identical to an eigenstate.
3/ The time evolution of one eigenstate is very simple: it is multiplication with a phase factors. So the time evolution of [itex]\psi_1(x)[/itex] is [itex]e^{iE_1t/\hbar} \psi_1(x)[/itex]
4/ Just replace each eigenstate by it's time-dependen version, [itex]\psi_1\rightarrow e^{iE_1t/\hbar} \psi_1(x)[/itex] and you're done!

hi
i want to normalize that wave function but could'nt. can somone help me over this.
i need to find out the value of A.

puneet.988 said:
hi
i want to normalize that wave function but could'nt. can somone help me over this.
i need to find out the value of A.

psi(x,0)=A sin 2x cos x

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function, represented by the symbol ψ, evolves over time.

2. What is ψ in the Schrodinger equation?

ψ represents the wave function, which is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It contains all the information about the system, including the position and momentum of particles.

3. How do you solve the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a partial differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of eigenfunctions. The solution, ψ(x,t), gives the wave function of the system at any point in space and time.

4. What is the significance of finding ψ(x,t) from the Schrodinger equation?

Finding ψ(x,t) allows us to determine the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a specific time. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems, which are essential for many technological advancements.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be applied to all systems?

No, the Schrodinger equation is only applicable to systems in which quantum mechanics is relevant, such as subatomic particles. It cannot be applied to macroscopic objects due to the principles of quantum mechanics breaking down at larger scales.