Connect electric guitar pickup to PC

In summary, the individual is attempting to connect a guitar pickup directly to their PC, but it is not working properly. They have tried wiring the pickup to a cable and plugging it into the sound card, but the PC is not receiving any data. They have also noticed that when they plug in a standard electric guitar, it works perfectly. They are seeking assistance in determining what they are doing wrong. It is suggested that they check the microphone input settings and ensure that the microphone is not muted.
bar_ts
Hello,

I would like to connect my guitar pickup directly to my PC, is it possible?

I've wired an electric guitar pickup to a cable, which plugs directly to my sound card (where a microphone ought to be plugged):

Sound Card -> Cable -> Electric Guitar Pickup.

But it does not work properly. My PC almost does not receive any data - you can only notice it, when you strongly tap a massive iron on the pickup magnets (such as scissors).

It is important to add, that when I plug a standard electric guitar to my sound card (with a similar cable which I am now using), it works perfectly.

Please, Could anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you already know that one of the connections on a stereo plug used for PC microphones is actually a power outlet, not a microphone input?
This also means the input is not stereo.

You need to connect to the contact that goes to the tip of the plug, not the one that goes to the ring around this tip.

Also check that the microphone input is not muted.
To do this go to START then CONTROL PANEL then SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES

Then find the AUDIO section and look for microphone recording volume. (This may vary with your sound card).

Check that the microphone is selected, its volume is maximum and the mute square is not marked.

1. How do I connect my electric guitar pickup to my PC?

To connect your electric guitar pickup to your PC, you will need a USB audio interface. This device allows you to plug your guitar into the interface and then connect it to your computer via USB. Alternatively, you can also use a guitar to USB adapter, which plugs directly into your guitar and then into your computer's USB port.

2. What software do I need to use my electric guitar pickup with my PC?

You will need digital audio workstation (DAW) software to use your electric guitar pickup with your PC. Popular options include Pro Tools, GarageBand, and Audacity. These programs allow you to record, edit, and add effects to your guitar recordings.

3. Can I use my electric guitar pickup with amp simulation software on my PC?

Yes, you can use amp simulation software on your PC with your electric guitar pickup. Amp simulators mimic the sound of different guitar amplifiers and allow you to adjust settings and add effects. Popular options include Bias FX, Guitar Rig, and Amplitube.

4. Do I need any special cables to connect my electric guitar pickup to my PC?

You will need an instrument cable to connect your guitar to your USB audio interface or guitar to USB adapter. You may also need a USB cable to connect the interface or adapter to your computer. Make sure to use high-quality cables to ensure the best sound quality.

5. How do I adjust the volume and tone of my electric guitar pickup when connected to my PC?

The volume and tone of your electric guitar pickup can be adjusted using the knobs on your guitar, just as you would if you were playing through an amplifier. You can also adjust the volume and tone settings in the software you are using on your PC, such as the DAW or amp simulation software.