ANSYS Modeling: Defining Variable Cross-Section for Elements

In summary, the conversation discusses how to model a one-half ring with variable cross-section in Ansys. The easiest way to define the cross-section for elements is by creating keypoints at each point where the cross-section changes and joining them with arcs. If the cross-sections are step changes, they can be defined using SECTYPE and SECDATA commands. If they are arbitrary cross-sections, they can be imported and meshed using MESH200 elements. For tapered cross-sections, TAPER beam sections can be used. Finally, the appropriate BEAM element type can be used to generate the elements.
lskrinjar
I would like to model in ansys a one-half of a ring with variable cross-section.

What is the easiest way to define variable cross-section for elements in ansys?
Do I have to define 5 (for example) different cross-section for each of 5 elements, if I create 5 beam element with different cross-sections and other section properties?
Can I import the table of cross-section and then somehow link it with the element type properties? Which element type can I link with the imported table?

I don't know with which element types does function preprocesor-sections-beam-... work.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the cross-sections step change? Either way, here's what you'll do
  • Enter cylindrical coordinate system, CSYS,1
  • Create keypoint at 0,0
  • Create keypoints at each point where the cross section changes, and the end. You should have 6 total keypoints over the semi-circle
  • Join these keypoints with arcs, LARC,kp_start,kp_end,radius

You now have the geometry. You'll next need to create your materials and cross sections. Here's where the step or linear change comes into play. If your cross sections are simply step changes, then simply define each cross section, for a total of 5 cross-sections. It will look something like this:
Code:
SECTYPE,1,name,BEAM,beam_type,refine_key
SECDATA,CIRC,0.4,10,10,2
That is, if you're lucky enough to have your cross-sections definable by the beam cross sections. If they are arbitrary cross sections, then you can import your cross-sections as IGES or whatever, and mesh them using MESH200 element types. Finally I believe there is a command called SECWRITE, which will write out a section data file. Then, you're command for each section will look something like:
Code:
SECTYPE,1,name,MESH
SECREAD,file,sect

*Note that syntax is probably messed up so consult the guide.

Now...if your cross sections are not step changed, but if they are similar shape but taper themselves, then you can use TAPER beam sections. For a taper section, you define the starting cross-section and the ending cross-section, and then define an additional cross-section with a taper type. It will look something like this:
Code:
SECTYPE,10,name,BEAM,beam_type,refine_key
SECDATA,CIRC,0.4,10,10,2
SECTYPE,11,name,BEAM,beam_type,refine_key
SECDATA,CIRC,0.8,10,10,2
SECTYPE,1,name,TAPER
SECDATA,10,11
Again, I'm not sure about the syntax, but basically the TAPER SECDATA simply defines the two cross sections that you want to use. Actually, there are coordinates in there as well. Starting and ending coordinates. It is important when using TAPER sections that you follow your meshing up with an /ESHAPE,1 to make sure everything looks OK. Taper sections can be a little bit of a pain in the ***.

Finally, simple mesh over the lines with the appropriate BEAM element type to generate the elements. IIRC, there is a BEAM183, so create your beam element type, and then you can just change your section in a DO loop or something, ala:
Code:
TYPE,1
REAL,1
MAT,1
*DO,i,1,5
  SECN,i
  LMESH,i,i+1
*ENDDO

Hope this helps, good luck!

1. What is ANSYS modeling and how is it used?

ANSYS modeling is a computer-aided engineering software used for simulation and analysis of various physical phenomena. It allows engineers and scientists to create virtual models of real-world systems and test their behavior under different conditions. ANSYS modeling is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing to optimize designs and improve product performance.

2. What is a variable cross-section in ANSYS modeling?

A variable cross-section in ANSYS modeling refers to the ability to define different cross-sectional shapes and dimensions for elements in a model. This allows for more accurate representation of real-world structures that may have varying cross-sections, such as beams with tapered ends or pipes with varying diameters.

3. How do you define a variable cross-section in ANSYS modeling?

To define a variable cross-section in ANSYS modeling, you can use the "Element Attributes" tool in the ANSYS Workbench environment. This tool allows you to specify different cross-sectional properties, such as area and moment of inertia, for each element in the model. You can also use ANSYS APDL commands to define variable cross-sections in a more advanced manner.

4. What are the benefits of using variable cross-sections in ANSYS modeling?

Using variable cross-sections in ANSYS modeling can result in more accurate and realistic simulations. It allows for a more detailed representation of complex structures, leading to more precise results. Additionally, it can help to optimize designs by identifying areas where the cross-section may need to be adjusted for improved performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using variable cross-sections in ANSYS modeling?

While variable cross-sections can be a useful tool in ANSYS modeling, there are some limitations to keep in mind. One limitation is that it may require more computational resources and time to simulate models with variable cross-sections. Additionally, it may be more challenging to interpret and analyze results from models with variable cross-sections compared to those with uniform cross-sections.