Frequency and angular frequency of sinusoidal vibrations in s.h.m.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the frequency, angular frequency, and period of sinusoidal vibrations in simple harmonic motion. The equations for frequency and angular frequency are provided, and the attempt at solving for these values is discussed. The final result for the angular frequency is determined to be 69s^-1, which may seem large, but is plausible considering the high acceleration amplitude and small vibration amplitude. An alternative equation for calculating the angular frequency is also mentioned.
Bugsy23

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the frequency, angular frequency and period of sinusoidal vibrations in simple harmonic motion. The acceleration amplitude is 10g (98.1m s-2) and the vibration amplitude is 2cm

Homework Equations

The equation I have for frequency is
f=(√(a/A))/2*pi
where a is the acceleration amplitude and A is the vibration amplitude
And the angular frequency equation is
[tex]\omega[/tex]=2*pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

for the frequency I got
f=√(98.1ms-2/2x10-2m)=70/2*pi=11Hz
which seems quite plausible, but when I then try to calculate angular frequency I get
[tex]\omega[/tex]=2pi*11=69s-1
which seems too large a number, since all the examples I have seen have angular frequencies of between about 0 and 3s-1. Is this actually right or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got the answer right. if you think its large, look at acceleration, it's quite large too, and displacement amplitude is small...

Just in addition, I think you can also use the equation a=-ang freq^2 * max displacement. Its much faster, however you get an answer of 70s^-1 for the angular frequency. Which is more accurate i do not know. Somebody'll probably tell me I am wrong now. :)

1. What is the difference between frequency and angular frequency in sinusoidal vibrations?

Frequency refers to the number of complete cycles or oscillations of a vibrating object per unit time, usually measured in Hertz (Hz). It is the inverse of the period, which is the time it takes for one complete cycle. Angular frequency, on the other hand, is a measure of the rate of change of the angle of a rotating object, usually measured in radians per second (rad/s). In sinusoidal vibrations, frequency is directly related to the number of cycles per second, while angular frequency is directly related to the speed of rotation.

2. How are frequency and angular frequency related in simple harmonic motion (s.h.m.)?

In s.h.m., the frequency and angular frequency are related by the equation ω = 2πf, where ω is the angular frequency in radians per second and f is the frequency in Hertz. This means that the angular frequency is equal to 2π times the frequency.

3. How does the frequency of a vibrating object affect its amplitude in s.h.m.?

In s.h.m., the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) is not affected by the frequency of the vibrating object. It is only affected by the initial displacement and the energy of the system. The frequency only determines the rate at which the object oscillates, but not the size of its oscillations.

4. Can the frequency or angular frequency change in s.h.m.?

In ideal s.h.m., the frequency and angular frequency remain constant as long as the system is undisturbed. However, external forces or friction can affect the frequency and angular frequency, causing them to change over time.

5. How do the frequency and angular frequency of a vibrating object affect its period in s.h.m.?

The period (time for one complete cycle) of a vibrating object is directly related to its frequency and angular frequency. The period is equal to 1/f, or 2π/ω, where f is the frequency and ω is the angular frequency. This means that as the frequency or angular frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.