Exploring Earth-Sized Exoplanets: Recent Findings and Instrument Limitations

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for Earth-like exoplanets and the difficulty in detecting them due to instrument limitations. The most recent effort in this field is NASA's Kepler mission. The conversation also mentions a list of planetoids and the lack of information on their masses, possibly due to the difficulty in determining mass from orbit.
madman143
I was wondering if anyone could indicate me towards recent(and respectable) findings over the number of Earth type planets in the galaxy. examples of exoplanet studies and the like would be great. thanks a lot.
And also findings on the number of exoplanets surrounding stars would be most appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Earth sized planets are very difficult to detect, largely due to instrument limitations. NASA's Kepler mission is the most recent entry into this field:
http://kepler.nasa.gov/

Chronos said:
Earth sized planets are very difficult to detect, largely due to instrument limitations. NASA's Kepler mission is the most recent entry into this field:
http://kepler.nasa.gov/

On a similar note, I am looking for a list of planetoids, and I am interested in their masses. I found a comprehensive databases at http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPLists.html
(at IAU Minor Planet Center). All these databases, contain orbital parameters, magnitudes etc...but apparently no masses.?? is it because mass cannot be determined from the orbit, so one has to use proxies?

1. What is an Earth-sized planet?

An Earth-sized planet is a planet that has a similar size and mass to Earth. It typically has a solid surface and is capable of supporting liquid water, making it potentially habitable for life as we know it.

2. How common are Earth-sized planets in our galaxy?

According to current estimates, there may be billions of Earth-sized planets in our galaxy alone. With the vast number of stars in the universe, it is likely that there are many more Earth-sized planets in other galaxies as well.

3. Do Earth-sized planets have similar characteristics as Earth?

While Earth-sized planets may have a similar size and mass to Earth, they can vary greatly in terms of their characteristics. Some may have a similar atmosphere and composition, while others may have vastly different environments due to their distance from their star, composition, and other factors.

4. Can Earth-sized planets support life?

The potential for an Earth-sized planet to support life depends on a variety of factors, including its distance from its star, composition, atmosphere, and other conditions. While some may be habitable, others may not be able to support life as we know it.

5. How do scientists discover and study Earth-sized planets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to discover and study Earth-sized planets. This includes using telescopes to observe the transit method, where the planet passes in front of its star and causes a dip in the star's brightness. Scientists also use the radial velocity method, which measures the slight wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet.