Different techniques of integration

• Thread starter DennisG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques of integration and a question about raising a denominator to a power. The conversation also suggests using the tabular method and checking the answer with a graphing calculator. Finally, the conversation provides a solution to the question by substituting a variable and simplifying the expression.
DennisG
hi, we're working on different techniques of integration and I just wanted to know if I got the right answer for this...

[tex]\int\frac{x^3}{(x+1)^10} dx[/tex] (the denominator should be raised to the tenth and not the 1 with a big zero after it, if someone could tell me how to raise it to a power like that, it would also be appreciated)

I only got [tex]\frac{-(x+1)^-11}{11}\times\frac{x^4}{4}[/tex]

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, I'll address the latex problem: x^{10} will display [itex]x^{10}[/itex]. Superscripting and subscripting should be surrounded by {}.

Next, what new method are you using? You can use the tabular method (a relative of integration by parts) and I'm sure there's at least one more method.

Another thing, if you have a graphing calculator you can check your answer by evaluating the indefinate integral as a definate integral--say 0 to 1 in this case. Evaluate your answer as a definate and see if the numbers you get from both methods are the same... I evaluated the original int from 0 to 1 and got a positive number and I see the bottom will yield a negativeover the same limits, so your answer is wrong. If you show us what you've done then someone will be able to point out your mistake.

Anyway, good luck.

DennisG

Try this

[tex] u = x+1 [/tex]

so

[tex] (u-1)^3 = x^3 [/tex]

Do you see it now?

ohhhhhh
thanks a lot

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is important in science because it allows us to solve various problems related to physics, chemistry, and other fields by finding the total value of a continuous function.

2. What are the different techniques of integration?

The main techniques of integration include integration by substitution, integration by parts, partial fraction decomposition, and trigonometric substitution. Other techniques include integration by trigonometric identities, integration using tabular method, and integration by completing the square.

3. How do I know which technique of integration to use?

The choice of integration technique depends on the form of the integrand. You can use substitution when the integrand contains a composite function, integration by parts when the integrand is a product of two functions, and partial fraction decomposition when the integrand is a rational function. Trigonometric substitution is used when the integral involves trigonometric functions.

4. What are the practical applications of integration in science?

Integration is used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate accurate measurements, solve differential equations, determine the work done by a force, and find the center of mass of an object. It is also used in calculating volumes and areas of irregular shapes.

5. Can integration be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, integration is widely used in real-life situations. For example, it is used in calculating the amount of medication in a patient's body over time, determining the rate of change of a stock market, and calculating the distance traveled by a moving object with varying speed. It is also used in designing buildings and bridges, as well as in predicting weather patterns.