Research Funding Help: Find NGO's, Gov Programs & More

In summary, a student is trying to restart a research lab on campus that has become inactive due to budget cuts and changes in administration. They have discussed the issue with faculty and admin but without outside funding, it is difficult to revive the lab. The student is looking for NGO's, government programs, and schools that need a partner for projects in various fields such as electric vehicles, vehicle design, energy production, fuel cells, biomass, and renewable energy. However, the student needs to be able to answer questions about the amount of funding needed and the purpose of the funding. They are also open to working with like-minded individuals on a volunteer basis. The student has a background in grant writing but is struggling to find funding sources. They are asking
Frostfire
Wasn't really sure where to put this post,
Here is the short version

I am a student who is trying to restart a research lab on campus that is highly publicized but inactive, much to my dismay as a transfer student. I have discussed it with faculty and admin, however without outside funding, the proverbial snowball has a better chance.
'
I am trying to find NGO's, government programs, schools that need a partner for projects etc.

Here are the topics that I have received approval for, if funding exhists
(other fields may be allowed as well)

Electric vehicles
Vehicle design
Scale models of Energy production for education
Fuel cells,
Biomass
parallel energy production
Automated RC robotics,
Carbon Offsets
general Renewable Energy production research
Arbortoriums,

If anyone has any programs they know about...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should anyone fund you? Seriously - if you don't have an answer to that question, you have no chance. You need to think about that. You also need to decide what to do: maybe fuel cells, maybe planting some trees is not a research plan.

You need to work on those two things.

You need to start by being able to answer 1) how much money are you going to need 2) what exactly you want the money for.

Also unless you already have experience with grant proposals you will find that fundraising is extremely inefficient, and you are better off trying to get "like minded individuals" to work together on a volunteer basis. If you have a lot of people in your university that are already being funded to do something related to the lab, then you'll find it a *lot* easier (although still far from easy) to arrange journal clubs and joint projects.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, . Specific projects exhist in all the areas that were mentioned.Each with an extensive project discription. I was only general in an attempt to find out what field might be funded easier. This is the main development lab for the school, it has just been sacrificed do to school cut backs and change in administration and I am trying to revive it. small scale projects have a buget of a few grand, some of the larger research projects in biomass originally had a budget of about 200k.

I already have many inidividuals that want to work, but the school will not allow access unless funding can be procured. I have a background it grant writing but not finding the funds. I have spent many hours looking online and am appling to a few through NSF,

the post was an attempt to provide legitimate sources, not state the obvious, or critique a question.

Considering this forum is made up largely of member of the field, why is it i get more benificial answers from yahoo when I use the same question.

Going by my experience on this site, most will probably not reply however, I would sincerely appreciate any sources that can be provided or any school labs that are have projects and would like a partner, as stated in the first post

I understand the struggle of securing funding for research projects. It can be a daunting and time-consuming task, but it is essential for the success of any research endeavor. I commend you for taking the initiative to restart a research lab on campus and seeking out external funding opportunities.

There are many resources available to help find NGO's, government programs, and other funding sources for research. One place to start is by looking at grant databases and directories, such as the Foundation Center or Grants.gov. These databases allow you to search for funding opportunities based on specific criteria, such as field of study or location.

Another option is to reach out to professional organizations in your field, as they often offer grants and funding opportunities for research projects. Additionally, some universities have internal funding sources or partnerships with external organizations that can provide funding for research projects.

It's also important to network and connect with other researchers and organizations in your field. Attend conferences and events related to your research topics, and reach out to colleagues for potential collaborations or funding opportunities.

In terms of the specific research topics you mentioned, there are many organizations and programs that support research in electric vehicles, renewable energy, and robotics. For example, the U.S. Department of Energy has a range of funding programs for clean energy research, and the National Science Foundation offers grants for robotics and automation research.

Overall, my advice would be to be persistent and proactive in your search for funding. It may take some time and effort, but with determination and strategic planning, you can secure the necessary funding for your research lab. Best of luck in your endeavors!

What is research funding?

Research funding refers to financial support provided by organizations, such as non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and government programs, to support scientific research projects and studies.

How can I find NGOs that provide research funding?

You can find NGOs that provide research funding by conducting an online search using keywords such as "research funding," "NGOs," and the specific area or topic of your research. You can also reach out to colleagues and professional networks for recommendations.

What types of government programs offer research funding?

There are various types of government programs that offer research funding, including federal agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), as well as state and local government programs. These programs may offer grants, fellowships, and other forms of financial support for research projects.

What should I consider when applying for research funding?

When applying for research funding, it is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria, application requirements, and deadlines of the funding opportunity. It is also helpful to have a well-developed research proposal and to clearly articulate the significance and potential impact of your research.

How can I increase my chances of receiving research funding?

To increase your chances of receiving research funding, you can seek feedback from colleagues and mentors on your research proposal, and make revisions based on their suggestions. Additionally, it can be helpful to have a diverse funding portfolio and to demonstrate the potential impact and relevance of your research to the funding organization's mission or goals.

Back