HELP with Thin Films Questions

• Thread starter chemgirl83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thin films
In summary: I am not sure since I don't have an electrical background...can u help? Do u know?I don't think so, but I could check and see if there is a formula I could use. Do you think the thickness of the adhesion layer would have an effect on the effectiveness of the film?I don't think so, but I could check and see if there is a formula I could use. Do you think the thickness of the adhesion layer would have an effect on the effectiveness of the film?
chemgirl83
I would really appreciate if anyone can help me with these 2 questions! I really need help with my homework assignment and I don't have a good materials background...

1. Au has been found to be a very good anode electrode for OLEDs (see, for example, M.G.
Helander, et al. Adv. Mater. 22, 2037 (2010)). The problem of using a single layer Au
anode is its poor adhesion to glass substrates. Propose a method to improve the adhesion
at the Au/glass interface.

The proposed solution has the following constraints:

A) Optical transmission through the system (air/Au (x nm)/ material-X (y
nm)/glass substrate (1mm)/air) at 500 nm has to be > 40%. (You may use
bulk material optical constants in your calculation).

B) Electrical sheet resistance of your proposed thin-film structures has to be as
low as possible (no worse than that of ITO’s, 10 Ω/□).

and

2. PVD is now widely used to fabricate small molecular optoelectronic devices such as
OLED and solar cells. For OLED fabrication, deposition process of Al cathode has been
found critical in producing good working device. For example, the device efficiency of
OLED at 2.0 A/s Al deposition rate was found twice higher than that of OLED at 0.2 A/s
deposition rate (see the following figure). The working pressure during Al deposition was
8x10-6 torr. As the device fabrication conditions for other organic layers were kept the
same, the device performance disparity is related to the difference in the Al thin-film
properties including: (1) electrical, (2) optical, (3) chemical composition, and (4)
microstructural properties.

(a) Provide a theoretical hypothesis on the difference in these film properties
deposited by different deposition rates.

(b) Propose appropriate experimental techniques to verify your hypothesis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please?

People aren't just going to do your homework for you, but if you show how you've tried to solve the problem, you'll likely get helpful comments.

Mapes said:
People aren't just going to do your homework for you, but if you show how you've tried to solve the problem, you'll likely get helpful comments.

In the first question, I propose to use a Titanium layer between Gold and Glass as Ti (and Cr) have shown to improve adhesion.

I need to know how to find the TOTAL optical transmission and Total Resistance of such a layer. Which formulas should I use?

Is the class more focused on modeling or on finding empirical results in the literature? If it's the first, it seems strange that you haven't covered suitable models for optical transmission and effective resistivity. If it's the second, you may have to look at what other groups have found.

chemgirl83 said:
In the first question, I propose to use a Titanium layer between Gold and Glass as Ti (and Cr) have shown to improve adhesion.
Those are the standard adhesion layer materials for Au films, so that's a reasonable starting point.

I need to know how to find the TOTAL optical transmission and Total Resistance of such a layer. Which formulas should I use?
Do you have any thoughts? For starters, what bulk optical properties are you going to look up?

Gokul43201 said:
Those are the standard adhesion layer materials for Au films, so that's a reasonable starting point.

Do you have any thoughts? For starters, what bulk optical properties are you going to look up?

I am still deciding between Titanium or Dielectric Materials such as CeF3 or MgF2.

For OPTICAL properties I would need refractive index, transmission coefficients?

I should be able to do the transmission part, but I am not sure about how to calculate the total resistance of the Au / Dielectric / Glass layer.

What do you think a dielectric material would do to the effective resistance of the film?

Here's an additional question to keep in mind: what should the adhesion layer thickness be (large or small) if you want to: (a) maximize transmission, and (b) minimize sheet resistance?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
What do you think a dielectric material would do to the effective resistance of the film?

Here's an additional question to keep in mind: what should the adhesion layer thickness be (large or small) if you want to: (a) maximize transmission, and (b) minimize sheet resistance?

I m not sure since I don't have an electrical background...can u help? Do u know?

What will be the effect of Deposition Rate on:

Electrical
Optical
Chemical and
Microstructural properties of thin films? Any clues?

You must be from Prof. Lu's class...

Oxygen diffuses in more easily if the dposition rate is slow and you know Al2O3 is insulating...

chemgirl83 said:
I m not sure since I don't have an electrical background...can u help? Do u know?
You don't need much of an Electrical background. All you need to know is Ohm's Law. Do you know what sheet resistance is? Have you looked up the definition? How is it related to the film dimensions?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of thin films in scientific research?

Thin films are used in scientific research for a variety of purposes. One common use is as a coating to protect materials from environmental factors such as corrosion or wear. They can also be used to alter the surface properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity or optical properties. Thin films are also valuable in studying and understanding the behavior of materials at the nanoscale level.

2. How are thin films created in a laboratory setting?

Thin films can be created through a variety of methods in a laboratory setting. Some common techniques include physical vapor deposition, chemical vapor deposition, and spin coating. These methods involve depositing a thin layer of material onto a substrate, which can then be further processed and studied.

3. What are the main challenges in working with thin films?

Working with thin films can present several challenges for scientists. One major challenge is achieving uniformity and control over the thickness and composition of the film. Another challenge is ensuring adhesion of the film to the substrate and preventing delamination. Additionally, the properties of thin films can be highly dependent on the deposition method and parameters, making it important for scientists to carefully control and monitor these factors.

4. How are thin films used in modern technology?

Thin films have a wide range of applications in modern technology. They are used in the production of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells, where they can provide specific electrical properties. Thin films are also important in the development of new materials and coatings for various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and biomedical. They are also used in optical applications, such as in the production of lenses and mirrors.

5. What are some current areas of research related to thin films?

There are many ongoing areas of research related to thin films. Some current topics include the development of new materials for thin films, such as two-dimensional materials like graphene, and the use of thin films in energy storage and conversion. Scientists are also studying ways to improve the properties and performance of thin films, as well as exploring new applications for them in various fields.