Technical Writing: Insight from Experienced Professionals

• Thread starter pzona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the individual is considering changing their major from science to English and is interested in becoming a technical writer. They have received positive feedback on their writing abilities and are considering a minor in chemistry. They are also interested in pursuing a career as a published author. The conversation also includes advice on finding job security and success in the technical writing field.
pzona
I've been thinking a lot about my education lately and I'm thinking science may not be the right path for me. I won't go into a list of reasons why, but I'm pretty sure it's just not for me. However, I'm still fairly interested and knowledgeable on the basics (I'm in my second year of undergrad, majoring in chemistry) but I'm probably going to change to a radically different area of study. I know no one here is going to want to hear this, but I was thinking English.

I had an almost perfect writing score on my SAT and I've been reading practically since I was born. I'm probably better at writing and critical reading than anything else, and most importantly, it's what I really love to do. I want to remain somewhat involved in science, even indirectly, so one career option I'm thinking about is technical writing.

I've heard that technical writers for engineering firms can make decent money, but beyond that I'm not really sure about anything in this field. Has anyone here worked with a technical writer personally? Or is anyone a technical writer themselves? It's not a definite career goal; I'm just looking for any sort of firsthand information.

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing, especially technical writing, is a great career choice! Very admirable :approve:.

We had a technical writer where I work now, but when the economy got bad he was laid off :cry:. I was really in awe of his abilities.

Perhaps you can minor in chemistry, too?

I wish I had access to a good technical writer at work. In grad school my girlfriend was an english major and writer. Man, she made my life so much easier proof reading and correcting for me. She didnt' write for me because that wouldn't be ethical in school, but I've no qualms about offloading the writing at work and making time to do more techncial work. Many engineers and scientists are decent writers, but few could hold a candle to someone born to it, like yourself. You can do it better, and you can do it faster. I wish more organizations realized the impact on real cost and opportunity cost by time wasted with engineers and scientists generating mediocre technical documentation.

There is nothing wrong with your choice, but keep in mind that you will probably need to market yourself well to get the interview, at which you need to make a good sales pitch. You may not see job postings, and you may want to contact VPs of engineering to make them see the light. Also, as lisab points out, understand that when the economy gets bad, you may be the first one out the door. Still, if you end up being good at what you do (which it seems would be the case), you should have no trouble making a career.

This could also be a good way to pay the bills, and polish the skills, while aspiring to be a successful published author. You didn't mention that as a goal, but every writer I've known keeps that dream in the back of their mind. (or sometimes on their sleeve along with their heart)

To the OP. I worked in the pulp and paper field for a while, both as a chemist and as a paper machine lead operator. I was sick of the shift-work, and went out on my own, only to be hired by a large training company that wanted to build a P&P division and needed someone with my skill set (including meticulous documentation of as-built and new installations.) When they asked me to relocate, so I could work out of one of their offices, I simply went out on my own. Documentation of systems in old mills got out of date pretty fast as improvements were made, and as older boiler operators and turbine -generator operators started leaving through illness or retirement, the mills' owners found themselves in a bind - unskilled and/or inexperienced operators. I had full time work, and got to work out of my home, though I generally spent one week every month on-site generating new drawings and systems descriptions to be fleshed out and written at home.

Technical writing is not for everyone, but if you are dealing with dangerous equipment, you can be fairly recession-proof because your contracts will be driven by the companies' need to show their insurance underwriters that they are getting caught up with out-dated system documentation and operator training. This is especially true for black liquor chemical recovery boilers and associated equipment. Those boilers are particularly dangerous, and they generally operate at high pressures (600-900 psi is common). If you can find a niche like that where safety is a big concern, or one in which a high level of technical proficiency is required (and you do a good job, of course) you won't have any trouble getting work because decent consultants' reputation get around through word of mouth. Hope you are comfortable with teaching, though. If you write a system description, your clients will often ask you to present that material in a classroom setting during recurrent training. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the responses!

I was thinking maybe a minor in chemistry (or a few more science classes at the very least) would help me out a lot, so I'm going to try and work that in. My dream at this point is to write for The Onion, but that seems pretty unrealistic as they only have somewhere around 160 full time employees nationwide, and only 10 full time writers (not to mention the fact that they don't even look at unsolicited resumes or submissions). I figure technical writing will help me pay off my loans and take care of bills, at least until The Onion recognizes my genius :).

I haven't heard much about job security, so that's very helpful. It makes sense that a writer would be one of the first to be laid off if the economy takes another bad turn, but hopefully I can get something in a higher-risk environment.

Thanks again for the responses, I really do appreciate the feedback!

1. What is technical writing and why is it important?

Technical writing is a form of communication that involves conveying complex and technical information in a clear and concise manner. It is important because it helps to bridge the gap between technical experts and non-technical audiences, making information more accessible and understandable.

2. What are some common challenges faced by technical writers?

Some common challenges faced by technical writers include understanding and interpreting complex technical information, adapting writing style to different audiences, keeping up with rapidly changing technology, and working under tight deadlines.

3. How do experienced professionals approach the technical writing process?

Experienced professionals typically approach the technical writing process by conducting thorough research and gathering information from subject matter experts, organizing the information in a logical and understandable manner, and using clear and concise language to convey the message to the intended audience.

4. What are some essential skills for successful technical writing?

Some essential skills for successful technical writing include strong writing and communication skills, attention to detail, ability to understand and interpret technical information, organization and time management skills, and adaptability to different audiences and writing styles.

5. Are there any specific tools or software recommended for technical writing?

There are various tools and software available for technical writing, such as Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, and MadCap Flare. It is recommended to use the tools that best fit the specific needs and requirements of the project, and to continuously stay updated on new tools and technologies in the field of technical writing.